Friday, May 1, 2009

Music, Musings, Oysters, and Other Others....

When I was 13, I was doing……..I can’t remember. One thing I know I was NOT doing would be sitting on a stage at a grand piano giving a recital of Bach and Beethoven. IF in his later years, Jonah Yeh remembers, he WILL be able to say that's what he was doing. Last night I joined a family oriented audience of about 60 people at St. Mary’s Hall to listen to Jonah’s solo recital. I am not a knowledgeable judge of such performances, but it is obvious that Jonah has talent far beyond his years. The fact that he is tutored/mentored by Brian Ganz is certainly a testimony to that. A very bright and happy kid (?), Jonah has an engaging smile and enthusiasm for the music that shows. And, he didn’t (as I would have) play something like chopsticks, either. He began with Bach’s French Suite No. 2 in C minor, followed by Beethoven’s Sonata in F minor, Op. 2, No. 1. Both pieces required a dexterity that he handled with ease. No sheet music, never a missed note (that I detected) and always in command of the music. Pretty impressive. After the intermission he played pieces by Debussy and Chopin, no slouches either, and finally, after a couple of standing ovations, did a very pleasing Minuet in G.

As fate would have it, my just in time arrival put me at the door just in front of Mr. Ganz, and he happened to sit in the same aisle as I did. It was fun to steal a glance at him occasionally, and most of the time he sat with eyes closed, absorbed in the music, with the look of what I might characterize as “a proud father”. During the first part of the performance the open windows let in the music of singing birds, sounding as if they wanted to join the concert as well. During the intermission, through some friends I got to meet Brian and also Jonah’s real father. Wonderful people, boy I like living here.

During the performance I got to thinking (I always get to thinking). In my more familiar world of wine appreciation, I think most people know there is such a thing as “blind tastings” where the wine bottles are put in a bag or poured into glasses out of sight, and they are evaluated for what’s in the glass not what’s on the bottle. They sometimes produce surprises, like the famous time when California cab outscored a first growth Bordeaux, or a Maryland wine wins a medal over a California. That got me to that thinking what would happen if they had a “blind listening” (maybe they do), and have Jonah play a piece behind a screen, and then a “Van Cliburn” (to pick a name) play the same piece, and then try to distinguish the performers. What would be the difference? If asked, I would be unable to say where Jonah could improve. It would be an interesting conversation to have with Mr. Ganz.

If you’re interested in listening to more, there is a Student Recital today at 3 in Montgomery Hall, an Senior Recital by Andrea Scher tomorrow at 3 back in St. Mary’s Hall (type of music unkown) and then next Tuesday (5th) there is another of Brian Ganz’s students (5 pm St. Mary’s hall). What a treat to hear live music. Boy, I like living here..

Other Other’s:

With MFO on the road, I stopped in at the Tides prior to the concert to get a bite and a libation. Went to the bar to find it pretty packed with the hanger on’s from happy hour which included a few old ITT veterans. They had an appetizer of Blue Point Oysters of which I took a half dozen on the shell, and ordered mini crab cakes as well. You forget how nice oysters can be. These had great flavor, but since I have to retain my chops as a critic, I would have to say that given my experience at numerous Oyster Festivals a couple could have been shucked more cleanly. The mini crab cakes were good, and I especially enjoyed the “Cajun Remoulade” sauce that accompanied (Cajun Remoulade got me to thinking again, subject of an upcoming ramble). One nice thing about “mini” cakes, they can get cooked throughout with out overdoing the outside. Drink test passed with colors at the hands of their experienced barkeep. Nice quick light meal, couple of apps, a drink, see a few friends, go get culture.. Nice evening.

And, for all my maligning of the Enterprise, I begrudgingly have to admit today’s (5/01) edition is pretty informative. The front page has a story about the fire (says pier started first, spread to boat – according to “unofficial sources). There’s also a nice story about preservation that features Historic St. Mary’s City’s craftsman Peter Rivers. If you have ever had a chance to chat with him, you know he’s another local treasure. The “Weekend” insert has a nice piece about First Friday (that would be today) in Leonardtown, and since I’m being magnanimous, I have to say that for once Mr. Mercer’s writeup on “the Pub” is good. It mentions all the spots in LT, Café des, Corbels, Brewing Grounds, etc. And I think for once a fairly objective review of the Olde Town Pub – and even mentions (albeit tentatively) a few “downs” along with mostly the “ups”. I know that it has become “the place to be” lately in Leonardtown.

A reminder that tomorrow (10 - 5) is the House and Garden Pilgrimage, unfortunately there are no directions published in same newspaper so you have to rely on the website. Too bad..a difference I note this year is that there is a single ticket instead of the fee at each site.. Hope to see some of you around. This year’s chairperson is Cherie Heely so you know it will be done right. It starts at 19583 North Snow Hill Manor Road, and maybe there’s a brochure with maps..

enough, the little grassies are asking to be planted...

DFD

No comments: