Monday, July 4, 2011

Fireworks of the mind...

One more trip bit off my mind...

Now that we’ve sort of documented the physical side of the trip, there was another facet that drove me nuts. Since we were in Missouri, most of the TV stations in motels emanated from St. Louis. And, unless I’m watching sports we tend to watch NBC stations mostly for news. Good old channel 5 in St. Louis…

Anyway, one of their biggest stories which dominated coverage (never mind the economy, Afghanistan, wildfires, storms) was the fact that the auditions for American Idol were being held downtown. Many shots of reporters interviewing starry eyed juveniles hoping that they were the one out of the ~5000 (!) folks that showed up that would get the big break. Oh, did I mention that (I think) American Idol airs on NBC?

But that got me to thinking…Lately the airwaves seem to be dominated by ads for these kinds of shows. Another was the “finals” of “The Voice”, and something called “America’s got Talent” whose clips only seem to prove that America indeed does not have talent, but does have a generous amount of idiots diving into wet hankies and so forth.

But it occurred to me that all the commercials are not about the contestants, but more about the judges. You name the show, there’s shot after shot of some insanely grinning judge, laughing out of control, leaping and clapping. I have no idea what enables them to judge anything. Howie Mandel? A washed up standup comedian and former game show host is now an expert on stupid human tricks. Christina Aguilera? She can’t even sing the National Anthem let alone distinguish “talent”. I guess you don’t need it to know it?

But of course once again I am in the minority as these shows continue to dominate ratings, and water cooler conversation rages on and on about who should win and why. What am I missing? I freely, gladly, and proudly admit that I have NEVER watched any of these shows (including the “reality” genre of Survivor or Whatever Island). But I am glad to see that there is one show that is named correctly: The Biggest Losers.

Food Bite:

Just to keep my purpose fulfilled, I noticed throughout our journey that every single Texas Roadhouse we saw (which were many) is no uglier than the one growing near us. Is it legal to fly a Texas flag in another state?

Quick Local Buzz:

Another new h/motel in Lex Park arising near the Belvedere, er, I mean Day’s Inn.

I cannot figure what’s going on at the Willows except they have new management.

There is new activity at the old Charlie’s Deli. Another try?

The “new” McDonald’s near Panera is slowly emerging from the ground. Goody.
Enjoy the holiday and be sure to

DF4th


No comments: