Friday, November 4, 2011

Sayonara Santa Fe...


I like alliteration better than accuracy

But, we really do need to leave Santa Fe and move on, but there is a lot of things still on the plate. Maybe we’ll try and condense (thank goodness you say) because we have to get into the present so i can talk about that idiot in the car behind me today..

so......

Our third Santa Fe Big Deal Meal was at 315 Restaurant and Wine Bar, better known as Bistro 315 (or 315 Bistro). It is an outpost of French Cuisine in the land of the Southwestern food. I read so many good reviews of it that I added it to our list of Big Deal Meals. Because of the afternoon train ride we reserved for 7:30, and arrived pretty much on time. It is kind of an unassuming building done in Adobe, but once inside it indeed lived up to its Bistro appellation. A bit loud, bustling, several small dining areas, tables set in white cloths (by golly, I don’t remember any white paper squares!!) and crystal. On this evening (Saturday) there was a jazz trio playing and we were seated just around the corner which made a nice sound barrier.

Another Bistro touch was that the specials were on a blackboard that was brought to your table, and its size pretty much commanded a chair of its own. Probably about a foot and a half by two and a half. Our server apparently was otherwise occupied (didn’t come right away) but the manager came over and took our drink orders (glass of wine for MFO and a DMOTRWAT) for the Feeder. The drink pretty much passed as it was made properly, but beside the twist (plus) was that damn maraschino cherry (minus) which was removed without question and the second drink was just fine.

The menu reflected French preparation and ingredients (condense here, no listings). I had hoped to have lamb which was lauded in several of the reviews I found, but it was missing. Mussels which also got raves were on, so I had that, and MFO had a scallop dish. On the specials board was a foie gras appetizer, and readers will know that I am a complete sucker for that particular dish. Now I will confess that the price tag was a hefty $24, but when you’re in for a nickel…. Etc. Well, (condense) that dish was one of the best (I think I can use that word personally) dishes I have ever had, at least within memory. And the server stopped by and said would I like a small glass of Sauternes to go with… Very nice touch, and yes I would. By the time I got home, I of course forgot the preparation, so went on their website and did a “contact us” to send a note asking if the chef could tell me the preparation. To their credit and my astonishment I received a very nice note from the executive chef: “ Bill,the foie gras you had was seared and served over a slice of grilled corn bread and a green tomato jam. I always make a big batch of green tomato jam at the end of tomato season and it will last for a long time. The jam is made from a light caramel of just sugar, onions, mustard seed, fennel green tomatoes, salt and pepper”. Everything just worked. It was great. And since I was in a French restaurant I felt a white Burgundy would be fine and selected a 2008 Joseph Drouhin Chablis, 1er cru, Vaudon. The manager brought the wine and said that it was one of his favorites… While I usually take these comments with a grain of salt, I think he was sincere. He talked about how hard it was to cellar, how he took good care of that one, etc. And, like the Foie Gras appetizer, it was one of the nicest bottles I have had. Just the right balance of fruit and acid, and yes it tasted good with the appetizers, scallops, and the mussels. Notice the Feeder didn’t say “paired”.

Condense: we shared a chocolate pots de crème for dessert. A wonderful meal… and i didn't even talk about the idiot at the next table...

So a wrap up of our Santa Fe Dining

Big Deal Meals: Tie between Terra and Bistro 315 – different categories (formality, service style, cuisine), both great. Third was Restaurant Martin, mostly because I couldn’t get a damn drink. Food was good, sauce ran on plate. Didn’t get to try The Compound, Geronimo, Coyote Café, or Pink Adobe.

Breakfast: One entry, Pasquales. Unique, do it.  Ohori's coffee... very nice shop. Pastry shop by the Plaza, good stuff.

Lunches: Mucho Gusto; Rancho de Chimayo; The Shed; Café at Indian History Museum; Legal Tender (part of train ride). All good, not a clear winner. All except last “Mexican”… all well prepared

So a wonderful trip had to come to an end, we had a glorious time, with the exception that the altitude never left us, and we felt the effects until we descended to Albuquerque. Just something to think about if you’re considering a trip.. and you are of our generation.

In order to get this into your hands, I will not include any photos today… there are some worth seeing from the train ride and a little side trip we made into the country by car. Will use them as PS’s in the near future..

TODAY

The Feeder doesn’t usually divulge his plans ahead of time, in case they change, or don’t work out, or it turns out lousy, but I will share this one with you. As a (further) celebration of our advancment into the 8th decade of existence, both FOJ’s and their wives are arriving today and tomorrow we are all going over to the Inn at Little Washington for an overnight stay in the Inn, and dinner at the chef’s table. At a cost that monetarily is astounding, but the experience will be……. Priceless.

I think they would like us to

DFD

No comments: