Friday, December 27, 2019

Steaks, steaks, glorious steaks!


Dec 26 ninja SRF

Well, did you survive? Another Christmas come and gone, and now we’re facing the end of the year, and depending on your accounting scheme, the end of a decade. 

One of things the Feeder misses most is the ability to grill outdoors.  MFO takes a very dim view of searing a hunk of beef on the cooktop (YOU clean it up!) so that arrow has been removed from my quiver.  Recently there seems to be a lot of buzz on “smokeless” devices that purport to achieve the same result in the house without setting off all the smoke detectors in the kitchen.

So, after some research the Feeder got an early present for himself

It’s quite a hunk of gear (5 in one), and fairly heavy, but manageable.

So for its maiden voyage (mixing metaphors with abandon) I chose some beautiful Lamb Loin Chops from a local farm
which were very lovely
So, set up the device to cook same

And actually did a pretty nice job, maybe a little short on char, but it indeed was smokeless (thank goodness!)

I think it has promise, more to come!

Great site
I wanted to get some “nice” steaks for FOJTE’s visit (to be grilled outside!!), so did some research consisting of googling “best mail order steaks” and made a list (remember, I’m an engineer)

You don’t need to strain your eyes, but a couple kept floating to the top in all lists, that being Snake River and Holy Grail.  For no particular reason I chose the Snake River Farms and after swallowing hard (and I even passed on the Wagyu varieties – our homeowner loan is maxed out) and got 4 choice steaks.

Now some alert readers may remember that I have dabbled in Blue Apron, and Sea to Table.  I was continually plagued with completely thawed proteins, open bags and mushy boxes (Blue Apron ice melts, StT at least uses dry ice).  I think it is due more to the shipper and FedEx than the providers, but what landed on my porch was fairly pitiful. Complaining to the source (who really couldn’t do much about it) resulted in apologies and in one case refund.

Anyway, the fateful day arrived for the shipment to arrive, and fortunately I was able to be here when it arrived.  Well, your money goes for something besides meat


And upon opening found a nice recipe book and the requisite catalog


Plus a LOT of dry ice, with a little insulated bag containing the steaks


Wowee!  Individually cryo-vaced, beautiful cuts a full 1¾ inches thick, wonderfully marbled


So, although they cost a bit (well, a lot more) I can’t wait for FOJTE to grill them outdoors!  They may be well worth it.  Am thinking of taking out an additional loan and investigating a prime rib roast. 

After two positive things, I think I will wait on my report of the Bearnaise sauce.. which ought to tell you something..

Meanwhile, don’t forget to
DFD and enjoy the holidays!!

No comments: