Thursday, January 28, 2010

Lunch and Life...

Today MFO and I attended the annual “holiday office lunch” of the local branch of the company that I work for part time. And, as it has grown to be, it was postponed until after the holidays. Enough time has passed that it moved from “just another lunch” during the plethora of such events at the hectic holiday time to a pleasant outing. Long time loyal readers will remember the feeder’s opinion that lunch can provide a relaxing respite from the pressures and hassles of the day, offering a time to reset the brain, relax a bit and enjoy good company and food. This year it was held at Café Des Artistes over in Leonardtown. With the local folks and a couple from the home office “up the road” we numbered just nine, so it wasn’t hard to have conversation.

As is the practice of CDA, they display the works of local artists and are currently featuring art of Candy Cummings, the local artist who does “collections”. The pieces on display are constructed from “found” techy objects like circuit boards, vacuum tubes, rubber bands and the like. They provide kind of an odd contrast to the eclectic French country atmosphere of the restaurant. But, good for them supporting local art.

The menu still offers primarily French dishes as we have stated before, along with a daily special sheet. Today it was a shrimp pasta dish. Besides the sandwiches, salads, soups, and combinations thereof, there are entrees for those with a heartier appétit. The serving staff has remained pretty constant over the years, and know what they are doing without the recorded messages. MFO did a hearts of palm salad (with a side of frites), I did their signature sandwich the croque monsieur with a Caesar salad. Others did the pasta, a couple of the steak and frites, soup, and even two orders of escargot. Everyone was happy with their choices judging by the clean plates. MFO and I shared a little Key Lime parfait cupcake which was very good.

With the closing of the other main restaurant in Leonardtown, it’s good to see that CDA keeps humming along. And, I think there are reasons why that is so. You can pretty much count on good service and consistently good food. I think I can count on the fingers of no hands the time I have been in that restaurant when Chef Loic is not present. That’s what it takes, day in, day out, in the kitchen, touch every dish. Making a restaurant go is paying constant attention to everything. Good to see they have it down. This is a great example of why you go to locally owned and operated restaurants, not some place with Neon and branches everywhere.

Speaking of which, MFO was driving north on 235 yesterday morning and reported that a “now hiring” sign is in the front of the “new” OG, and the place was parked full. It would be an interesting exercise sometime to count the number of places food is served around here, and use some estimate of people on the floor and see how many there are. Could be quite a number. And, only a fraction of that number actually know how to serve a table.. Just think how many times “Hi I’m….” is repeated daily. Endless, just like that salad bowl and airsticks.

Oh, I got my February issue of Bon Appetit yesterday, and my first glance at the cover did not have our favorite “B” word pop out at me. The banner just read “Meat &. Potatoes”, and “winter soups, pastas & stews”. Good. How appropriate for February, that cold, dark month. But then, my eye was attracted to a little blurb on the right side leading with “Snack Attack” under which they listed “Best Ever” popcorn, wings, chips and more. I think “Best Ever” is even more egregious than just plain best. Wings? Gimme a break.

(life part):

Lastly, I was saddened today to learn of the passing of J.D. Salinger. How many of you read of the adventures of Holden Caulfield in your formative years and related to him. I know I did. “I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible”. Thank you…. and good rest J.D.

And of course today we were all

DFL

No comments: