Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Thoughts on a Snowy Wednesday...

I don't know about you, but I'm getting tired of this..anyway, just a few musings today:

As most loyal readers know, the Feeder subscribes to a plethora of food and drink magazines of varying degrees of depth and cuisines. A friend has a couple of times suggested that I look into one called Garden & Gun. At first I thought this was just a cute oxymoronish joke, but no, he maintained it was real. Yeah yeah, (remember my reaction to suggestions of going to the Korner CafĂ©)? Well, once again the feeder has been humbled with his haughty pre-conceived notions. Yesterday, I was sitting in the dentist’s office waiting for a crown to be numerically controlled machined (another miraculous bit of technology for another time), and my eyes wandered to a little pile of magazines on a chair in the corner. Hey! What’s that? By golly, it is Garden and Gun! Let’s take a little peek and see how silly it is, probably an NRA ad on every page. Well, all I can tell you is that after I got home I got out my checkbook and wrote a check for a year’s subscription. While there are articles relating to hunting and gardening (including a great one on boxwood hedges), there were some really nice foodie things. In fact, if I had to re-title it, it would be something like “Southern Food with a Little bit about Gardening and Shooting”. It’s definitely an upscale publication with top shelf ads catering to the “well to do” (hopefully they’ll let me in), and slick production and some very nice photos that brought to mind Saveur. You can take a quick look at their website and get a flavor (ha ha). Any magazine with an article on cast iron skillets is okay. Probably not commonly seen but if you see a copy check it out..

Then, I thought a little bit about the juxtaposition of our look see at Corner Kafe and Casey Jones the other day. Readers should realize that although both places served good food, there was no intent to imply that they were equal. Would I go to the Corner expecting Fennel Dusted Seared Tuna? Don’t think so. If there were fried oysters at Casey Jones, I bet they would be different from the Thompson’s (excellent fried ones). Both places served excellent food for what they are. It’s that expectation thing again. I would expect going to the Corner Kafe for lunch would get me solidly prepared, local food made with good ingredients in kind of a home style slant. Yes they did. We go to Casey Jones for something special that you wouldn’t get most places, and also expect that it would be well prepared, presented, and served. Yes they did (and on the other night exceeded expectations in the “prepared” category). Harmony. Food and place need to go together..

And, on a little more sensitive note, in our drive to become more of a food aware and caring community, I must point out that people who own, manage, or work around restaurants are “restaurateurs”. You will note that there is no “n” in that word. I see/hear it a fair amount with an “n” inserted between that final a and t (which I won’t repeat here). The closest I have seen is maybe not a word, but it turns up and that is “restauranters”. I don’t like that word somehow. So, let’s be correct when we refer to our friends who serve us good food!

And, as always we can do our part to
DFD

No comments: