Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Lite Wednesday...

Quick update for Wednesday.

One of the things I have fallen into since retirement (going on two years and still learning) is to go to Starbuck’s most every day. I have finally come to realize that it really isn’t for the coffee (half-caff, grandé, whole milk latte) so much as it is for the routine. It forces me out of bed, and gets me out of the house and generally clears the cobwebs and starts the day. Plus, due to my regular visits most of the staff there “knows” me, and they generally give me a cheery hello. There is another gentleman who is there almost every time I am, and he usually sits in either front corner and is either reading the paper or working with his laptop. I have met him casually a couple of times at a local wine store, and so sometimes we wave or say Hi when I walk into the coffee shop. I don’t know much about him, have forgotten his name, but he seems so placid and at ease, just enjoying the morning. Part of the journey…

On another subject and plateau, since I often criticize our local paper the Enterprise (aka fish wrapper, Emptyprise), I must also give credit when due. In today’s edition in the “outdoors” column in Section B, there is a very informative article about crabs. Usually the piece is about fishing or hunting, but I found it a good read today. Talks about sizing (number ones, twos, etc., and why), weight, prices and so forth. A good reference to keep. And, in the same edition there is a great article about the rebuilding of the Witchott’s currently underway at Historic St. Mary’s City. They are reconstructions of the “longhouses” that the Native Americans lived in when the first colonists arrived here in Maryland. I believe there are volunteer opportunities if you are so inclined.

I’ve had a couple of field reports from readers on vacation about their food adventures, a good subject for a future post…(and keep ‘em comin’ folks!)

And they were (mostly)

DFD

No comments: