Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Checks, and Cheques

Trying Large again...

Checks

After yakking about the (lack of) power play in the NHL the other day, I eventually wound up watching the Flyers play the Penguins, which got me to thinking again.  As a young engineer I aspired to becoming a “professional engineer”, emblematic of the pinnacle of the profession.  I normally associate the word with reaching the highest level of any particular field.  A professional dancer or opera singer is usually regarded as at the highest performance level.

I am not sure anymore that it applies to sports.  Those of us who have or are coaching kids in (you name it) hockey, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, basketball, teach them the skills, sportsmanship, concepts of team play and so forth and what do most of them dream of?:  becoming a “pro”.  I look around now at those who play sports professionally, and I would ask myself, do I want my child to turn out like that?  I guess when you join a professional team, you give away your ethics and get paid to injure people, cross check from behind, slam dunk a basketball and then “in your face” your opponent.  People will not sign contracts because despite millions, it is a couple less than somebody else, and hence is not acceptable.  I don’t ever remember Bart Starr holding out for more money.  I suppose it is reflective of the “me” society, the heck with a team, it’s all about me and my ego.  Finish college?  How stupid – show me the money!!

Cheques

Yesterday I sat down to write a check/cheque to pay the piper in the form of credit card bills, and noticed on the statement my “account number” was listed as: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx- plus the last four of the card number.  It was in there more than one place.  That’s nice I thought, they’re trying to protect my secrecy.  So as I finished writing the check (and sobbing), I looked at the back of the envelope with all the little tips like don’t send cash, one of which is “write your account number on the check”.   Hmm, I thought, I wonder.. So since I was feeling a little frisky (and caffeinated) I dialed up the good folks at Visa.  After deciding I wanted to continue in English, the next recorded message was “please enter your 16 digit account number so we can be of more assistance”.  Agent!” I shouted into the phone.  Silence.  “okay, if you would like your account balance, please enter the 16 digit account number so we can proceed”.  After about 5 more “agent!” screams I was warned my call might be monitored or recorded, and it actually rung and a human answered.  I won’t go into any cultural differences; we’ve all had that experience.  “how may I help you?”.  Well, I just have a general question:  since your statement shows my account as (x’s), is that what you want on the check?.... Pause…  “Do you need to know your account number sir?  I can help you with that”.   No, I am asking if you want me to write the account number on my check exactly as shown on your statement?  “I can show you how to find your account number”.  No….. and after a couple more tortured attempts, I think the bulb finally lit, and he began to comprehend what I was really asking..  “Oh no, sir you have to write the complete 16 digit account number on the check”.  Well, for security purposes you don’t put it on your statement.  “that is correct sir”.  But you want me to divulge the complete number on my check?....  Pause….  “yes sir”.   Do you see any inconsistency in that?.   Silence.  (about ten minutes now),  “I can see your concern, but you must write the number.  I can pass your comment to my supervisor”.   Sensing defeat, I said fine, please do that.  “is there anything more I can help you with today Mr. Moody?”  No, I don’t thinks so.  “Have a nice day and thank you for using Visa!”.   I tell you it is the little things that add up to that aneurism. 

Food quickie

Since I was asked today as I entered Coffee Quarter for yet another community related meeting, just a couple of sentences.  Lately I have found the place to be improving and generally more populated than it has been before.  I also think the staff has less piercings and (visible) body art, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Speaking of coffee places…. another quick thought.  Have you been to our local Starbuck’s after the “renovation” was completed?  IMHO a complete disaster.  The counter side of things is probably better, but they sliced up the “seating area” with a monstrous floor to ceiling “shelf" that cleaves the area in two.  Plus if you don’t watch yourself coming in the door, you might bust your nose.  And remember those soft leather chairs?  Gone.  Hard seating only, with a (for lack of a better term) community table seating six.  Mostly it is occupied with people staring at screens, but I would feel funny sitting down there.  On the other wall is a bench from end to end.  The proprietor claims there is more seating but it’s hard to believe.  It used to be kind of welcoming and inviting, but now it’s just kind of cold and hard.   One would hope it was not done intentionally to make it so uncomfortable that you don’t want to stay.  Turn those tables!!  Sigh.

 Who cares how you


DFC

No comments: