Monday, June 4, 2012

Don Quixote, Guy and......Guys, and the Y


am working on a little more food based piece that is not ready for publication yet, so maybe time to let off a little pressure

I am not sure what makes me do this, but somehow I seem to take up causes that I probably have no chance of making any real change.  Kind of like my DFD campaign, I don’t really notice any decrease in ball caps in nice restaurants, but at least maybe I can elevate awareness that might over time have some effect.  

So it is with my latest cause: the (mis)use of the word “guys”.  Now i know that a Hewlett Packard Copiere is a correct name, but it is always called a "Xerox", all tissues are "Kleenex" regardless of who makes them. To be honest I think I looked up a definition of the word "guys", and about the third one down contained a note that the term "you guys" is in common use for both genders.  Well, "common use" doesn’t make it right.   Common usage is for commoners.

Lately we have been enjoying watching the women’s NCAA softball world series, it is fairly low key and fun to watch.  As seems to be common practice these days, all the network folk covering a woman's sport have to be women.  So time after time, somebody like ESPN's Holly Rowe (for whom I somehow have developed an undefined dislike) sticks a microphone in the coach/manager’s face grins, and says something like:  “your fielding isn’t up to the season’s average, how are you guys going to correct that?”; last time I checked I really didn’t see any men on their team.  Or to a player: “this is a must win game for you guys, how does that that affect the way you guys approach the game?”.   Nobody seems surprised, and apparently not one of the ladies minds being referred to as a “guy”.  I just keep thinking about the opposite case.  NBA playoff game, announcer talking to Kevin Garnett:  “how are you gals going to stop Lebron tonight?”  that would be ludicrous (not to mention hazardous to interviewer)  but the other way is accepted.  Not sure why.

And while I won’t change it, maybe I can attune your ear such that when you hear it, you’ll take notice and in some situations say something.  “Excuse me, my wife doesn’t like to be called a guy”.  And you know what?  It is VERY hard not to fall into that usage yourself.  Try it sometime.  “You all”; “anybody”; “anyone” work fine.  “Can I get you all/anybody/anyone something else?”  Or, just stop at “you”.  “may I get you …. Dessert menus?”.  Shouldn’t be hard.

The Y word

Another overused word I have come to hate recently is the use of the word “Yummy” in conjunction with food.  It appears almost daily in facebook entries. Recently I saw a picture of some hard crabs and a beer, to which somebody commented: “Yummy!”.  I can see pre-adolescents using the word to describe “S’mores”, or maybe toasted marshmallows around a girl scout campfire, but hard crabs?  I guess it gets back to having respect for the food.  Is it just me?   Sautéed duck breast (ducks must be on my mind!) with merlot reduction, grilled asparagus and creamy polenta – Yummy??  I think not.  It is too much hard work to put something delicious on your plate only to demean it by squealing “yummy” is just wrong. It is insulting. It’s just too damn cutesy to go with serious food. Stop it!  The use of the word tells me the person has no clue about food.  Everything they put in their mouth is “yummy”.  Go away.  Grow up.

and while you're at it
DFD

No comments: