Monday, September 3, 2012

Air Fare....


 
A contrast in airborne meals..

Alert readers will remember that our outbound leg for the Scotland trip was marred by some of the worst food (like material) that I have experienced in a long time (I won’t mention the airline was USAir).  So when the business trip to the other coast loomed, I decided (as I have mentioned) that I would expend some of my accrued airline miles with American and see if I could upgrade to the front of the plane.  And for a dear price of 15K each way plus a “fee” I could do that.  What the hell.  Okay.

My trip began with MFO ferrying me to DCA in MOMSTER II for a fashionable 1700 departure time.  Amazingly, traffic was sparse, maybe because it was Monday, and we made good time, breezed through checkin and security and found myself in the Admiral’s Club (another indulgence I’ve had for years).  Once again filled with people with devices glued to their ears or thumbs, but at this point I wasn’t quite as sensitive, but I suppose it was the start of the process that led up to the finale with the Cell Phone Lady already reported on.

Soon enough we were ushered on board and I settled into a window seat in the first class cabin.  Much more room, a working headphone with a classical music channel available.  However while the plane continued loading the other customers, I felt a drop on my head, and discovered that condensation was dripping from the overhead.  I pointed it out to the cabin crew and was given a napkin to stuff in the vent which stopped the flow until takeoff. The person in the aisle seat next to me remarked “I’ll have to add reason 17 why you never sit in a window seat”.  I didn’t ask about the others.  Anyway, after boarding and people were still getting settled in, we were offered sparkling wine (guess you can’t call it champagne” before takeoff.  Ah, this is getting better.  Soon after takeoff the attendants again appeared with the hot towel, a civilized practice which I thought had disappeared with the sag in the economy.  They also handed us an actual printed menu!

 

With dinner selections and beverages

 


After reaching some altitude they came around and asked what we would like to drink, and our menu choices, addressing each of us by name.  I selected the Glenlivet, on the rocks please (no DMOTRWAT here).  Soon enough a little dish of warmed mixed nuts and the drink appeared (in the glass, no little bottles to mess with)

 

One might note that it is actual glass and actual china.  No plastic to be seen.  At that point the drink and little snack were welcomed as was the “would you care for another Mr. Moody?”

Suitably relaxed the salad “course” was set before us

 

It actually was quite tasty, and prosciutto wrapped melon is always a winner even at thirty some thousand feet.  This was followed by the filet, which was not exactly restaurant quality but not too bad (I think the mashed potatoes were added to weigh down the plate in case of turbulence)

 

So eating with real cutlery, sipping wine from an actual glass, classical music plugged in the ear, and a passing airshow was quite relaxing.. nice scenery

 

Finally the cheese plate concluded the food service

 

Given my previous experience with airline food this was a real treat.  No, it’s not starred meals, but it sure beat what we had before.  It’s very seductive sitting up front, I suppose it won’t continue, I’ll run out of miles and certainly can’t afford it out of pocket, but it makes the journey much more enjoyable..

The return flight (through DFW) you’ve kind of heard about with the antics of the CPL, but the food was equally as palatable, a nice little salad before DFW.

 

The last night in LA, due to the late hour (a long day making conclusion slides) we grabbed a sandwich at a little beer pub in Redondo Beach.

(those are beer tap handles on the ceiling)

Not surprisingly, the food was not commendable, but the beer selection was wide, and cold.

We passed a little place that a quick search on Yelp recommended but we didn’t have time, maybe next time

 

So after a leisurely morning, I winged home again to the humidity of Maryland..

 
 
And of course the journey is not the objective, but it makes the objective much more easy to concentrate on.. and I remember the day when faced with air travel I would specifically put on a coat and tie.  Them days is gone forever, making it hard on an airplane to be

DFD
 
Local foodnote;  On my way to SBucks this morning for coffee I noticed that the Cracker Barrel parking lot was FULL, with flow over into the Red Robin next door (which is not open at nine in the am), so I assume that the stuffed animals and candles are accepting customers.  Praise be to God!!

 
 

No comments: