Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sandy you're a Dandy...

but please stay away..  going to throw this out there now since who knows how long power will last..

currently getting steady winds in the 20's with higher gusts.  Mercifully it is out of the northeast which tends to blow the water away..

I have lived out here (Maryland) for about 16 years now, and have never had an encounter with a deer.  Until last night. MFO and I were returning from a lecture up in Nanjemoy, and suddenly she said "Deer!".  Yea verily, it was standing on the shoulder.  Looking rather immoble.  Just as I thought we were by, it took a leap right in front of me.  Nothing to do.  Mercifully I think it was in mid hop and I believe it's rear hooves clipped the grill.  My fleeting memory is of it spinning away from me.  All auto systems, including headlights seemed funtional so we continued a hundred yards or so and then went off onto the shoulder.  I got out to discover a caved in grill with some of the pieces hanging by a thread.  I managed to pull those off (cutting my finger in the process), put the pieces in the trunk, and MFO took over control while I applied pressure to my cut.

We made it home, and in the light of the garage and spot lights we determined that the front edge of the hood is crunched, and a lot of the fairings in front have deep scratches. Given that we hit the damn thing, it could have been much worse.  So my new beautiful Hyundai Genesis will have to undergo depot level repair with all the hassles, expense, probable interaction with the insurance folks, and the angst of seeing your beatiful baby banged up.  Sigh...  I know other people have done this, but it is still not fun.

Since the approach of the storm nears, I am not sure when I will be able to start the process.  It's always something..

Sandy Story

Speaking of the storm, we made preparations yesterday, cleaned the gutters, put yard furniture and stuff in the side yard, got some black drainage pipe for the downspouts, and pretty much did what we can do outside.   Now it is just sit and wait..  Oh, and of course we assembled all the necessary stuff for survival.   As they say, Make a Kit...  here is ours...


Will provide updates as able..  don't bother to

DFD

No comments: