Monday, February 4, 2013

Super, super....


Well, being a sports junkie, I probably can’t let the opportunity pass to comment on yesterday’s glut of sportsdom.  Of course the bowl takes the honors, but I will note that my hero Phil Mickelson won a golf tournament.  It’s so refreshing to see him interact with the crowd, smile, rather than the stone faced iron visage of Tiger.

 
Anyway, I suppose fans and commentators alike were glad the damn game took place after two weeks of endless analyzing, “breaking down” and continual yammering about the quarterbacks, this fault and that, on and on rehashing over and over the same crap. 

We started the day with a pleasant (if I do say so myself) breakfast of a Leek, Mushroom, and Fontina frittata along with a glass of bubbly…  good start to the Super Day.

Chef Feeder at the stove
 

 

It was the first time I tried the recipe (from Bon Appétit) and it was okay, but I think I would make some mods the next time.  Called for sautéing the leeks and mushrooms and then adding the egg (and crème fraiche) mixture, letting the edges just set and transferring to the oven.  Well, the “shrooms” stayed on the bottom, kind of making a base.  Next time I might reserve some of them and put them on top.. But, it turned out well and was quite good.  (Aided by the Mimosas)

 

As the day wore on, and eventually eading up to the actual game we snacked on a cold poached salmon with flat breads.  As Phil wound up his round we cycled over to the “phoo pherah” of network pregame crap. We broke out the cocktail shrimp (another recipe another story) with house made cocktail sauce, cashews (yes, recently diagnosed high cholesterol) be damned (Hey, it’s the SUPER BOWL for God’s sake). 

So after all the hype, the analysis, the prognostications, the game finally began.  A herb roasted pork tenderloin with oven crisped potatoes supplied the main course.  We opened an ' 09 Joesph Phelps Sauvignon Blanc (Hey, it's the SUPER BOWL for God's sake).  wowee..
 
I really had no favorite for the game, although I have to candidly admit that the continual coverage of Ray Lewis with his mouth open, looking toward the heavens (or roof of the dome) and arms spread out began to work on me.  His inane chanting before the game was enough to turn me. 

I am glad for the fans of Baltimore, especially Joe Flacco who is much underrated, the management and the overall team but (as I said on FaceBook) Ray was just baggage on the field. Too slow, missed tackles no factor at all.  And then in the postgame his pronouncement that God was behind him (not San Francisco, not anybody else mind you) just turned me off.  Ride into the sunset Ray, it is NOT all about YOU, it’s a team sport.

As to the commercials, I thought they were kind of weak this year.  I liked the Doritos (goat) ones, and the Volkswagen one with the “mon” theme… the smooching one was, well what it was.
 
DFD

 

 

No comments: