Sunday, June 29, 2014

Restaurants and Hams..


Back in the formative days of the Bottom Feeder, I routinely asked: “where DOES that time go?” well, nothing has changed much… it still seems like it flies by.  Here it is Sunday already and another week looms.

Restaurants: existing and new:

Just Ducky:  Last Thursday, I ate all my meals (except breakfast which I never eat anyway) at both arms of the Ruddy Duck..  I decided I would join the crowd at the Brewery and Grill and watch the USA Soccer Match.   Kind of more fun that sitting in a quiet house by yourself.  With the noon kickoff (I still think that term applies) I got there about 11:30 and settled in in front of one of the many big screens




Ordered one of their excellent beers, and watched the game.  While most people were rooting for the USA – USA – USA, I noticed the gentleman to my left was kind of quiet.  Further observation revealed that he would surreptitiously pump his fist a bit when the Germans made a good play (which was often).  Bouyed by a beer or so, I finally said “you don’t seem to be pulling for the Americans!”.  No, he said, I’m from Germany.  We chatted a bit as the game progressed he was a very nice guy.  Eventually I had some empanadas to go with my beer which were quite fine.  Either my line is moving or they have the knack of adding just enough heat that it provides a nice punch to the meat filling..  They were quite good. 

As to the game, most folks will know that the Germans won as expected, but our loss was characterized by calling it a win, because the USA, along with Germany, will “go through”.

That evening we met a friend at the other Ruddy, the Seafood and Ale House.  You can’t ask for a better setting on the water, with both sides revealing nice views. We split a great oyster appetizer



Which was followed by a daily special of rockfish topped with shrimp.  Kind of a “Surf and Surf” dish




 All the food was well prepared, served properly, along with attentive service, which is what you would expect from people who have extensive experience in good food.  It was a great evening..

The King:  lots of buzz and press about “the Rex” soon (?) to occupy the space vacated by Cerro Grande II in Leonardtown.  Oddly enough, apparently it will be owned/managed(?) by the son of somebody I used to work with in the early days of the F-18.

Brasserie on the Bay:   Charles Street Brasserie, will be the latest occupant of the Harbor Lights/Sounds space across from the Tiki Bar on Solomons Island. I see that they have obtained their liquor license, usually one of the last boxes to be checked before opening.  They only have a FaceBook page at present, but boast that they will be a “Fine Dining Restaurant, Bands and Musicians, Tapas Bar and Restaurant”  Quite a tall order.  We’ll see!

Jerky:   Alerted by a friend, yesterday while on my way down to the City for Chapel duty I stopped in at the Charlie’s Deli spot which has been dark for a number of months (?). I saw this:



Originally when the friend said: “CoCo’s”, I immediately thought of the Cantina that had a run in Lexington Park for a while.  I contacted the former chef there and was told “It isn’t me!” and indeed when I saw the sign it was obvious.  I wish luck (?) to anybody who opens another independent restaurant, but you gotta wonder what motivates somebody to go into a spot that has closed twice (three times?) and think they’ll be different.  Not only that, but featuring a cuisine that is already kind of covered by Flex Island in San Souci Plaza.  As I said, we’ll see!

Ham it Up!
One of the benefits of having an archivist in the house is that occasionally she comes up with what is technically called: “Neat Stuff”.  The other day she brought home a copy of a 1988 article published in the Pittsburgh Gazette:




Foodies should perk up when they see the author is none other than the legendary food writer/critique Phyllis Richman, and then the subject of Stuffed Ham and St. Mary’s County.  It is kind of a review of the old Belvedere that used to be the centerpiece of Lexington Park.  Maybe if your technology is good enough you can read it, but I thought it contained some interesting statements.  One, there were twenty four REAL Tiffany lamps, specialized in blue margaritas, and family style veggies.  But the thing that kind of caught me up short was that she claimed that the Belvedere was most famous for their Stuffed Ham.  As you can see, she sort of took the slant that the Belvedere was preserving the dish.  Well, I certainly am not a “County Boy”, but I have to think there were a lot of stuffed hams out there besides theirs.  Mattingly’s was always “famous” for theirs.  She gives (her) history of the dish, saying it grew out of slaves using hog jowls when the “good cuts” went to the Masters, along with whatever was in the garden (Kale, cabbage, peppers).  Anyway, it is an interesting piece of history.  I do remember being here off and on during that time, and even stayed at the belvedere.  Remember the bovine on their sign?   Great place to live, eh?

Chapel Duty

Spent the afternoon yesterday at Historic St. Mary’s City out at the reconstructed brick chapel of 1667.  I had quite a few visitors, but was kind of partial to this little fellow




He didn’t have much to say, but my guess is that he is

DFD

No comments: