Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Hail to the.....



Longer time readers will know I constantly seek “just right” places (mostly for lunch) around the county and have often mentioned the (now shuttered) St. James Pub as pretty much what I consider(ed) the epitome of such places.  I kind of define "Just Right" as where everything is in harmony, food, service, setting.  Not where they're pretending to be something they're not. Courtney’s of course has a special place, but I thought St. James Pub had it all.  Well, I may have found a rival and it is NOT shuttered; in fact it seems to be going strong.  Finally following many suggestions, I succeeded in going to Chiefs, located down Piney Point Road (or Rte. 249 if need numbers) from Callaway, and just off that road a bit.  Many of my friends are frequent visitors and have recommended the place for a Feeder visit, and for some reason I just never have found the opportunity.  But, finally,with MFO still in Wisconsin, I met my fellow just right enthusiast there for lunch over the weekend.  

I am told that real county folk refer to it as “Dent’s” instead of "Chiefs" despite a sign on the highway advertising it as such.



Turning off you soon run into the reason why it is referred to as “Dent’s”


And those vehicles have to up the “just right” score

However there is a sign that directs you to the “Chiefs” part


So parking the car you enter what I would term a “just right” space:

Bar: check; 
Keno Screens: check; 
TV with sports on: (these days) check; 
Animated video horse racing game: check;  
Tables: check; 
People occupying the bar: check;  
Many of whom take occasional smoke breaks: check.

And while it isn't exactly a white board with daily specials, only minor points off for aligning with the times: check



It’s pretty much all there.

We sat ourselves at a table, and while there wasn’t the standard red plastic basket of crackers, malt vinegar, mustard, etc.,nor red checkered tablecloths it is a close second



Soon the lady behind the bar exited same and brought over to us plastic enclosed menus (check) and said she’d give us some time to look at them, and asked if we would like something to drink.. an inquiry revealed they were a Coke house, so my Pepsi preferring friend settled for that, and I got a Yuengling (check) – think the only craft beer offered was a Shock Top.  So we considered the menus:


(Shown only for documentation, not reading!)

It had standard categories, appetizers, soups and salads, sandwiches, etc.  I didn’t see any large entrees, like their popular steaks which leads me to believe there might be a dinner menu, or maybe an insert like there was for lunch



If you cared for oysters, you also had some choices



Based on a tip from a(nother) friend who is familiar with the place I ordered the Hot Ham and Swiss, and my friend veered off from his usual choice of a cheese burger and got the Reuben, and asked if they could hold the sauerkraut.  Sure..Sides were Slaw, Fries, or... (something else).  At any rate the former was selected for the Reuben and I got the fries.

A couple more groups came into the bar, and pretty much knew everybody that was there, or at least knew the bar lady (check).  Eventually (quite an eventually, really) our food arrived.
The Reuben



With a pretty nice cup of slaw, and as far as I am concerned a proper slice of rye bread (check), that is NOT marbled, although there are some schools of thought that accept that as being appropriate.

Hot Ham and Cheese


And here I was a bit perplexed.  In my rigid, hide bound world of food, a hot ham and cheese should contain cheddar, NOT Swiss.  Ham and Swiss is, of course, a classic combination, but I rather think it applies more to a deli type sandwich than the hot variety.  Plus the normal Kraft slice melts pretty well, as Swiss sometimes doesn't.  Both sandwiches were constructed with meat that I would call “lunch meat” (note the ham slices), BUT, that might be exactly what you would expect in a just right setting.  So, I won’t subtract anything for that, although I would knock off a few points because the ham was scorched in a few places, which isn't the best taste.  But, again, would you expect that in such a place?  Probably.  The fries were distributor fries, just as expected, and hot and crunchy, also just as expected.

Of course the Feeder can always find something to pick at, but all in all, Chiefs belongs right at the top of the (luncheon) Just Right list.  It all fits: setting, service, clientele, and the food..  I would like to try dinner sometime as they do their own meats, and as I've said a lot of people like them.

When I began penning this, I had intended to include a visit to Bistro Belle Maison at the Blue Heron Inn (quite a mouthful (ha ha) there!).  That place would definitely be on a “just right” list but under a different tab, maybe “Fine Dining”.  So maybe it's best to leave that for next time.  It was VERY good food.

And while maybe not necessary for the former, it IS appropriate at the latter that you

DFD



No comments: