Friday, October 30, 2015

Special Edition NOT related to travel



A special edition that doesn’t relate to Ireland travel particularly, which may be a welcome respite to some..  so there’s just a few things that might be of interest, one of which is a good thing, and the others also relate to food, of which I am more familiar, plus some late breaking disappointing news included as a post script at the end..

The Good Thing
Besides being the Archivist for the county Historical Society, MFO is involved in several historical “projects” around the county.  One of which is helping a group of people who are interested in St. Francis Xavier Church down on Newtowne Neck, south of Leonardtown.  As some know their area is going to be adjacent to the new State Park and the parishioners are worried about how the church and property will integrate into that.  So she’s on a committee to help develop the Master Plan for the State Park which includes addressing the desires of the Church folk to not have people picnicking on their lawn.

Also on the Church property there is a Manor House dating from the late 18th Century that has fallen into disrepair due to neglect (read funds) over the years.  So a group of people are interested in restoration of the Manor House and hence are doing various things to raise money for the effort.

They had an “open house” earlier in October to familiarize folks with the property




After all this (which is also a good thing) we (finally) get around to FOOD, which is the good thing i wanted to talk about.  Next Wednesday, (the 4th of November), Kevin’s Corner Kafe (INDEPENDENT restaurant in Leonardtown) is going to partner with the Manor House Restoration group in the form of a Benefit Lunch.   For the price of a mere $9.99 (okay, ten bucks) you can get a great Fried Chicken Lunch consisting of (you guessed it) Fried Chicken, Cole Slaw and French Fries. The proceeds will go to help the Restoration effort.  Food and Feeling Good, you can’t beat that..  Just call 301 – 997 -1260, put your order in, and go pick it up and enjoy..  Good Cause!


Food Items (not sure of proper order here)

A threat to our health revealed.

I’m glad I’m old, and I might employ the age old adage: “you gotta die of something”.  I’m sure most of you food alert readers out there saw the fact that the World Health Organization has come out placing Processed Meats in the same carcinogen category as “asbestos, alcohol, arsenic and tobacco, albeit with much lower levels of hazard”.  As you know, we were recently in Ireland, and have taken other trips to England and Scotland.  One of the great things about those places is that in the morning they feature “Full/English/Irish/Scottish Breakfasts”, and you have heard the Feeder emote about the wonderful practice of real food in the morning, not just Pop-Tarts for breakfast.  Generally, the “full” part connotes: a combination of bacon, sausage and egg, with ad hoc additions of baked beans, black pudding, cooked tomato, mushrooms, fried bread, hash browns, splotches of spicy brown sauce.  You know what?  The cornerstone is PROCESSED MEATS!  I have eaten that breakfast many times, and so far have not keeled over.

Over here, one of the joys of dining is enjoying a Charcuterie tray such as this one sent by a reader from the Sona Creamery in DC.



Besides wonderful cheese… is PROCESSED MEATS, in the form of shaved ham or prosciutto or Salume.  Delectable.   So, I’m sorry WHO, I will continue to enjoy sausages, salami’s and any other carcinogen you care to throw at me..Foie Gras included!!

Another Threat to our health

Well, I might relax a bit here and step down some from my high horse.  I think it has been pretty well proven that high intake of sodium is not the best for you.  So I try to cut down where prudent (salt can still be your kitchen friend), in things that don’t really matter much.  For instance, recently I had kind of an unsettled tummy and felt kind of punky,  so I thought maybe the time honored remedy of chicken (noodle) soup might be a good idea…with no enthusiasm (or ingredients) for spending hours making some from scratch, I poked in the pantry and found that familiar red and white can we’ve known since childhood.


And hey!  Look at that! – I can cut down on sodium in a product that I really don’t care much about.  Twenty five percent (from their regular product) seems like a significant figure, so I can maybe extend my life at least to that next plate of Charcuterie. However, being a conscientious consumer I looked at the back label – Whoa!!  Just a darned minute here


Even with “reduced sodium”, from a simple bowl of soup you’re a quarter way to your daily recommended amount.... and....Whoops!  Fine print says “per serving” and recommended serving size is one half cup (4oz.) of condensed soup which I suppose reconstitutes to one cup (8 ounces).   Does anybody eat one measly cup of soup?  I certainly don’t.   So, if my math is correct and I have the whole can of soup (maybe a cup and a half) I have just eaten a (reduced sodium) product that takes me over half my daily recommended amount.   Just imagine if you have the “regular product”  Blood pressure soars!

DFD

PS:  this just in at time of publication.  Apparently another county Iconic INDEPENDENT restaurant will be closing.   Lenny's will be gone.  Thank you Darden foods and your evil empire..  More in a later edition..



No comments: