Sunday, April 10, 2016

Zee.... but NOT Ttop.

      
1637??

Well, as alert readers know I fancy myself as relatively knowledgeable on our County’s history, but I got a good lesson last Friday.   As you might remember, I wondered aloud why the “new” Bollywood "Pine Sine" has 1637 attached to their new tap room.  Well, I found out!  On the way to a pre-cataract doctor appointment  (another story), I dropped off the HSMC BeerFest food vendor forms at (the new location of) Bollywood.  Their food is always a big hit at BF.  Anyway, I asked if the envelope could be passed to Sunny, and it turns out he was there!  After a hello, he said: “So you want to know why we used 1637 on our sign?” I was pleasantly taken aback, and pleased to hear he always reads my blog, hence the question.   Also taken aback some when he explained that he appreciated the fact that Lenny’s was a large part of our county’s history, and wanted to keep that link.  And, since his establishment was in St. Mary’s County he wished to maintain the connection.   So, he reminded me, although St. Mary’s CITY was founded in 1634, St. Mary’s COUNTY was established in 1637! Which translated to the sign.   He hopes to put some historical pictures around and will consult MFO.  Anyway, a great guy, and nice to see he’s so conscious and respectful of our history.   Plus, they supply very nice Indian food to our community!

Zeeking Zee Best

Nice segue to food, eh?  Although my fellow traveler on the road to finding “Just Right” places has expanded his business base to include Florida, we still get together once in a while to explore candidates for the list.   Those who drive up and down on Rte. 235 may have noticed the little blue and white place on the western side of the highway by Laurel Grove Park.  I don’t know its complete history, but it has had a few occupants from liquor store (I think) to fine dining (didn’t last long) and is now the (legible sign on right)




We met there last Wednesday for a lunch and an evaluation.  It is very close, but I’m afraid I can’t quite add it to the list.  It just doesn’t have the longevity which I think is an important criteria.  IF there were a “nice (independent) place to get a good solid lunch without frills” list, it could go on that.  The interior seems freshly painted in bright cheery colors (not quite a criteria)


It is clean, and the service is efficient.  We didn’t get the “Hi I’m…. of you” speech, but during our session we were variously referred to as: “gentlemen, dear, and honey (or maybe it was sweet heart)).   She was friendly and maybe a third of my age, if that.   The place was eventually pretty much full, with some carry outs going out the door as well.  So the “nice place” tag seems to be true.

Okay, as to the mechanics:
Plastic laminated menu?



Check

Right stuff on there? Burgers and Subs; Reuben’s; grilled cheese (with bacon); open faced hot sandwiches; Chef Salad;  check.  

For me a negative was the lack of a tuna melt or a hot ham and cheese sandwich (which did appear as a sub…negative, too much bread).  Plus some interesting additions such as a Bison Burger (maybe from nearby Summerseat!).   

Anyway, I ordered the Patty Melt and my companion got the Bison Burger, and he added the optional Hand Cut fries ($2.99!) but I kept the home made chips which came with it.

Red plastic basket? Check!



Plenty of condiments?  Check!


why is Ketchup always "Fancy"??

Good Food? (bison burger pictured above:  “very good!”), the fries were nicely done..

As for the patty melt… good with minor reservations:



Sources are divided on whether a “classic” patty melt should contain Swiss or American cheese. This version was Swiss (personally I would prefer the cheddar), but the caramelized onions were very good, sweet and smoky, and the rye (although marbled) was fresh and nicely crunchy.   To be very picky, the ratio of meat thickness to bread thickness was pretty high.  But, all in all a very tasty sandwich.

Bud Light pared well!

Service remained attentive and friendly (see names) despite she being the only one in a lunch rush.   My total bill: $10.12. Good value…Upon leaving there was an encouraging sign of attention to food out back, although I don’t know how much they actually get used.



So although they are still too fresh for my “Just Right” qualifications, they certainly are worth a visit if you are in transit or don’t mind a bit of a drive.  They are also open for dinner, and I think there is a "Too" in LaPlata.  I'll check ten or fifteen years from now for Just RIght, although i will probably visit sooner...

Dessert
And on this visit, while we didn’t take time for dessert, I did have a chance to try a Maryland specialty the other day



One of the benefits to pushing words around about food is that occasionally I get some “donations”, like the still untried Soba noodles, but also the lovely slice of Smith Island Cake, created by a friend who knows her way around the kitchen pretty well.  Yes, there are ten slices of (yellow) cake and the requisite chocolate glazy frosting.  Since it appeared during MFO’s absence for the “ladies” on Amelia Island, it was much appreciated.   I probably stretched the definition of

DFD

Lagniappe:  The Wilson Brothers who are moving into the Café Des Artiste corner are apparently changing the name of the place from “The Gull” to La Rive Breton (on Facebook) meaning “The Breton Shore”.  Opening in early June.  Stay tuned


No comments: