Friday, January 20, 2017

Our Town, Hot Diggity, and Politics..



Our Town

Preface:  Kind of leaning on Thornton Wilder..as part of my extensive research for this piece, I checked that notable fact source, Wikipedia and some other sites and it lists St. Mary’s County as the 21st “richest” county in America, and the 5th in Maryland.  I didn’t go very deep, but by some measures our Mother County is quite affluent.

The Story: So the other day I went up to San Souci to find the old Monterrey which had been under construction now reveals its new occupant.


And sleuthing around the county I found the “old” DB McMillan’s (RIP) undergoing an extensive "renovation" of some sort


I asked the previous owner if she knew what it was, and she said that she thought it was a couple of retail stores and maybe an office of some sort.  Then Facebook kind of blew up with speculation that it was a Dollar General store, although some subscribed to the same rumor I had.  Then in yesterday’s Enterprise there was an article that said the DG store was proposed for a plot across from Brewster’s on the Mervell Dean side.

The Point:  As part of that article it mentioned that this would be the 7th(!) DG store in the area.  I don’t know if that includes the “Tree” version (above) or the ilk.  Or how about the “Everything Under Five” thing in Wildewood.. So I guess I don’t understand why, if we live in the 21st most affluent county in America, why are those cut rate places flocking here?

And another thing we enjoy about our county is that you can drive along most any of the thoroughfares (Three notch, St. Andrews Church, Pt. Lookout road, etc.,) and come across patches of woods, or nice fields, and get a feeling of our so-called “rural character”.  Pleasant.  There was a little such patch of nature that had endured for years just north of Nicoletti’s Plaza between there and the Plaza Azteca restaurant.  Not big, but green.  Well, branch by branch, tree by tree, it is now being denuded.  A construction road has been punched through the trees......  for another car dealer



“controlled” expansion I guess. At least it isn’t another chain restaurant.  We’re still “missing” a Red Lobster, or a Jersey Mike’s..

And speaking of food, I tried the Bay Dawgz place in San Souci the other day for a luncheon dog.  I’m not sure how many ways you can doll up the humble frankfurter, but they try hard.  Notice that every category ends in “z”?  clever. 



Of course  you’re on display while the young lady waits for you, and I finally settled on the “Reuben” version dubbed the “Island Dog” for reasons unbeknownst to me.  Anyway, I got it “to go” and took it home.  Although you can get a “luncheon combo” deal, I just took the dog and went home and made my own tasty combo.


Although I generally dislike the “top slice” bun, with all the stuff on the dog, it does help to prevent spillage.
My only comment (not necessarily a complaint) is that the dog is kind of overwhelmed by the condiments.. much bun and toppings.  The diameter of the dog is not large so it sort of gets lost.  The (all beef) dog itself does have a nice snap and some flavor if you can get to it..  A relatively nice change from other lunch options….  Other people were availing themselves of their product.  Hope they stick around

Speaking of sticking around we visited La Rive Breton the other night for dinner.   

Pleased to report that on this evening, the timing was much better, and the food remained really good.  It is always enjoyable to find changes on the menu with interesting choices or preparation differences of some familiar choices. You kind of get tired of the same menu every time you go (Dry Dock, take note!)  There are usually scallops on the menu, but with varied preparations (except the damn Brussel sprouts) , and the teres major steak remains (which I have never tried) but there was also Veal Osso Bucco ragout (with crispy fingerling potatoes, picholine olives, kale, piquillo peppers, and red wine braising jus) which I ordered.  I started with a lamb leg tartare (harissa pepper aioli, pickled cauliflower, crispy sunchoke chips, cucumber tzatziki)


Nice dishes, FOJTE would have appreciated the Tartare, with Lamb being a nice change.

I hope they get the support they need. I know I will help and be

DFD


No comments: