Sunday, May 7, 2017

All good things must come to an end - Geoffrey Chaucer,1380


Surprised? No he wasn't with us...

Well, the time has come to leave “Charleston”, for which I’m sure you are breathing a sigh of relief (about time, Feeder!).   If I don’t get too verbose (spoiler, I did), besides closing out “the trip”, there are several things that are getting under my skin that I need to rant a little about, so we’ll see (no we won't)..

But first.. we bid adieu to the journey.  A cruise that starts at A and ends up in B provides for some interesting logistics, and in our case the MOMSTER was parked at A (Charleston) and were in B (Jacksonville).  So joining up with another couple in the same situation, we arranged to have a rental car to drive from Jax to Charleston.   We sat in the “lounge” for the last time while the bags were taken off the ship.

   

After a bit of thrashing around we finally got the car and headed north to Charleston, about four hours.  Was a pleasant day and being in an auto instead of a water borne vessel was refreshing.

MFO and I were going to stay overnight in Charleston and drive all the way to the digs the next morning.   It was decided that all eight of the “Maryland Team” would eat out together at a restaurant where the folks that have a home in Charleston were “regulars”, a place called “FultonFive” which always ranks in the top end of the many excellent venues in Charleston.  Before we went to the restaurant we had a little cocktail session in the house of a relative of another of our travelers.



With charcuterie and some of his “famous” barbecued brisket…  I was quite good, and deserving of his reputation.   Being a “regular” does have its rewards and our table was pretty much ready on a busy Saturday evening.  FF is an Italian themed place, relatively small but with that comfy feeling that seems to always accompany Italian places (when you’re here, you’re ….; sorry but kind of true)


The server greeted us, offered the wine list, went over specials and handed out a menus.   Typically Italian

with the usual “anti, primi, secondi” courses..  Nice selections, although I notice more and more my favorite Veal Piccata appears less and less.   Anyway we did appetizers around the table, I had a very good bruschetta, and MFO a very good “Zuppa di Funghi”



I chose an off the menu special of Rigatoni with lamb sausage, and MFO a shrimp pasta maybe a fettucini (I didn’t take notes that day, and it’s been a while) and a Sauvignon Blanc from Cyprus, and at the suggestion of the server I had a very nice Valpolicella.  Of course there was plenty of crusty bread to go with.

My lamb sausage dish was quite pleasing to the eye


However (unfortunately) not so pleasing to the (Feeders) palate when he found that the sausage was just “too darned spicy” for his taste.  Why do people do that?   I just don’t understand a kitchen that thinks a dish should contain something so hot it masks the other flavors.  Of course that is a subjective evaluation which others may not share.  Anyway, in the end, I “ate around” the sausage and enjoyed the pasta and “stuff”.  MFO’s was very good on all counts


The table was treated to a selection of desserts from the kitchen.. a very nice touch in honor of our host.  

A very nice meal.  The reputation of Charleston remains, with a little care, I don’t think you can miss a good meal.   It was difficult for the Feeders to branch out to some of the widely regarded places.   As I think I’ve stated before, we should plan a food dedicated trip to there as well exploring Savannah..

on the road again....

So the next day the loaded MOMSTER headed back up to the mother county.   With MFO at the controls I was able to take shots of the passing scene as we traveled.   Now, most folks would concentrate on the scenery of the Carolina s, but warped me concentrates on… Food Signs!  They are a wonderful way document regional tastes and (restaurants).  For instance, there were dozens and dozens of ("clever") signs for a whole range of Glory Seasoned Southern Style products



get it?



I am not sure what a “Snap” is… need some help from the locals there


And this is but a small sample of the miles and miles of signs.  To be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a “Glory” product around here

And another “Southern” specialty is the famous


Which are advertised everywhere


And even sold in convenience/gas station stores


Along with the red bull

I have tried them upon occasion, I must be too much a Yankee to appreciate them.

And the “un-boiled” version of the goobers are also everywhere



I can't imagine a sign saying "Fake Virginia Peanuts"

Anybody who has gone south on 95 should be familiar with this place



There is seemingly a sign a mile for 50 miles either way.   

I offer this one without comment (read it)




And of course depending on your luck you might have plenty of time to read the signs, as the poor souls in the southbound lanes did



Finally, after a long day of driving, we crossed the always welcome peace of Allen’s Fresh

A harbinger of home

So closed an interesting journey containing many sights and exposure to cultures (Gullah and Geetche) and traditions, local wildlife, and low country scenery.  Plus it is always rewarding to travel with friends and meet new ones.  As I’ve probably said already I thought the American Cruise Lines “side trips” were excellent and easily worth the extra cost.

Alert readers may note that there was not much coverage of food service on the ship.  I don’t have a good explanation for that.  The food was always well prepared and nicely presented, but somehow tended to have a sameness about it.  Maybe (gasp) I’m getting jaded.  Wines could have been notched up a little, Kendall Jackson IMHO is NOT a premium wine.  Table service was not always accomplished.  I might consider a Viking Cruise before another American Cruise Line Journey, but one hesitates to draw conclusions on a one-time jaunt.

That being said, the Cole Travel people took wonderful care of us, you sign up, and BOOM! Everything goes well…

And, you can easily be
DFD

Well, okay I did it.  The Rant will have to wait.   Just a quick bit of local Buzz: La Rive Breton has gone dark until the 12th to effect some repairs.   Have revisited Cow and Fish I the meantime.  More of that later as well as our adventures with Azure Apron..




No comments: