Friday, February 2, 2018

Humming along..


Now that I can get around a bit without having to sit every two minutes, I have begun to mess around in the kitchen some.

As we enter the world of “restricted” Sodium, <2500 a="" allow="" although="" always="" an="" and="" are="" cheese="" civil="" cocktail="" day="" depending="" dishes="" do="" exercise="" figure.="" finds="" for="" friend="" from="" fromage.="" go="" granules.="" hour="" i="" instance="" is="" keep="" kelp="" labels="" lookout="" lot.="" lower="" made="" me="" mg="" nbsp="" nutritional="" o:p="" of="" on="" one="" or="" ounce="" our="" re="" read="" replace="" said="" salt="" search="" sigh="" so="" sodium="" substitute="" the="" things="" through="" to="" trying="" variety="" we="">

We’ve found is that Hummus is pretty low sodium, in amounts that still provide some satisfaction.  Same with Whitley’s Deluxe Nut Mix, an ounce or so of that is surprisingly more than one or two nuts.  Anyway, I got it in my head to make my own Hummus.  There are a million recipes out there, with only slight variations.  So I came across one I thought would be good, set out to duplicate that.   Ingredients for basic Hummus are fairly few and easily obtainable in our local grocery outlets (No, haven’t been to Harris Tweeter yet).  So I assembled them (with my house made roasted Garlic)




And did my Mise en Place




And chucked everything into the food processor, and “processed” until smooth.




And turned it out into a bowl, put into the fridge to let the flavors get happy (as Emeril might say)




So we dished it up last night along with some stoned wheat thins.



As with any recipe I think it needs some tweaking.  I cut back on the cumin, and only used three of the roasted garlic cloves, and of course eliminated the “Salt to taste” line.   The result was kind of a bland, pretty stiff mixture that you had to know contained roasted garlic for instance. 

So, I added some more oil, more cayenne, and a bit of lemon juice



and i'm going to punch up the roasted garlic more..

Of course, Hummus is pretty bland so needs some help.  we'll see, update later!  more research needed at cocktail hour when we are maybe

DFD


No comments: