Saturday, March 10, 2018

Errata and venting..



Well, did you ever wonder how to recover from a dumb mistake?  I’ve wrestled for a couple of days on various strategies.  In his last posting (March 6th) the Feeder lamented the closing of Café Des Artistes, saying it was one year ago “today”.  Well, due to I’m not sure what, I somehow thought I was still living in 2017, so when CDA closed on March 6th (2016) it would have been one year ago, and so reported.  Well, due to overwhelming criticism from hundreds, well, many, er, one reader, I figured out that March 6th 2016 was two years ago from last Tuesday. 

So, I thought maybe I could claim I was testing the alertness of the readership, and purposely planted the false information.  Another would be to say it was all a lie and fake news, a strategy that seems to be in vogue in certain circles these days.   But reality is reality, and I guess just had another instance of an increasingly common occurrence, usually gratuitously called a “senior moment”.  So we’ve been without “fine dining” in Leonardtown for two years, not one.

And I was almost out of content, when something just kind of popped up.  I’m watching soccer at the moment (Newcastle vs. Southampton in the Premier League) and looked for an NCAA basketball game to oscillate with.  Found one that was on the (HD)CBS Sports Network on Metrocast 793.   Punched it in to the clicker, and was taken to a replay of last night’s Duke/UNC game.  Huh?  Oh, I see, it somehow jumped to 794.  “Channel Down” took me to 792! The roll around confirmed that 793 was not in the cable lineup, nor was the standard def 149.  What the hell?  So I called tech support and after giving them my life history spoke with “Kelly” who confirmed that yes, CBSSN was no longer in the channel lineup, but a standard def could be on 89.  Well, yes it was.  Grainey and almost unwatchable.  So since I was talking to a Metrocast rep, I made my standard gripe that I really wish they carried the Big Ten Network.  Yes, she said, we get a lot of requests for that, and since Atlantic Communications took over Metrocrap, she said it was being considered and possibly would be “coming soon”.  Not holding breath. 

Well, I see Tiger is in contention for the Valspar golf tournament this weekend, and you would think it was the second coming (which it might be in some bizarre way) with many of the sports talking heads reporting “Tiger’s Back!”, and Tiger worship is in full roar.    So I’m sure today’s TV coverage will show a single point broadcast.  Not sure I can take that.  And again, my real anger is not with the person but the “media” feeding frenzy.

Okay, since we’re mired in the weeds today (if there’s anybody still reading at this point), another annoyance is still with the automotive industry or rather the ad agencies that shill for their products.   Subaru still leads in the obnoxious category, with a new entry that depicts a blind person “showing” his misty eyed family “sights” that he senses with his ears (snowy owl for instance).  Heart wrenching.  Makes me want to run out and purchase a love… er Subaru.  And the arrogance of Lexus goes on, with a car that is largely made in Japan pushing commercials with the spokesperson droning on in a broad English accent.  I suppose to create an aura of sophistication.  Ads finish with “See yo Lehhxsuus deelah”.

Okay thanks, out.  Going out for dinner tonight, Ruddy Ale house. So I’ll have to be correctly

DFD

No comments: