Thursday, June 14, 2018

Italians, Mexicans, and Mushrooms(?)




You know, believe it or not, creating these missives is not easy.   As I move around, reading this or that, seeing signs, and so forth, I often think that: “Hey!  This should be in the Feeder!”  Well as age creeps up and memory goes down, I have taken to try to make little notes, on some handy scrap of paper, or a little sticky.  So when it comes time for fingers are put to keyboards, and I draw a blank, I can refer to those notes for content.  Well, most of the time I either cannot find them, or if I do, there is some cryptic note whose meaning has flown out of my brain.   Case in point, today I found a small sticky with one word on it: “lasagna”.   What the heck is that about?  After pondering it for a while and giving up, I went on about my business and suddenly it popped into my brain: Olive Garden!

Those charming folks or “family” have a new promotion called “Create your own Lasagna”, meaning they make a stack of lasagna noodles with some creamy white cheese in between, and you select a sauce (meat sauce, marinara, alfredo) which apparently goes over the pasta stack, and then you can pick your “topping” which is then crowns the mess. I, at least, generally don’t think of “toppings” on Lasagna, it’s a nice dish on its own.  Anyway, your options include Grilled Chicken, Cheese Ravioli (??), Sautéed Shrimp, and I even saw one on TV that offered scallops!  Dear God – no regard for harmony of texture or balance of “lightness” and the presentation is pretty frightening… a great culinary innovation.

And while we’re stuck on “genre”, a comment about “Mexican” food (at least as available locally).  There are/were four (maybe more) main restaurants featuring the cuisine: Plaza Azteca; Plaza Tolteca; Hacienda Los Guayabos; and (finally) recently opened Dos Amigos in Leonardtown.  I kind of exclude Chipotle and the new place near Harris Teeter which I believe are order at the counter and not a sit down place.

I got menus from all those above



 Plaza Azteca has gone “chain” and has over 40 outlets scattered around the Mid – Atlantic (so the only way to see their menu is “on line)”. 

And did some comparisons.  I have often postulated (somewhat tongue in cheek) that there is a Mexican Cocina in the sky, and it magically makes the same dishes appear in the various restaurants.  I sort of centered on Enchiladas as a common denominator, and guess what? Enchiladas: Supreme, Suiza, Banderita, and Rancheras all appear on all the menus (Azteca shown)


All of which include Chicken, Pork, or Shredded beef but basically the same dish.  There are a couple of others like “Poblano” or “Del Norte”.  Not much latitude.

I suppose they are popular, and people are used to them and feel comfortable knowing what they are going to get.
I have had an early stringer report on Dos Amigos, finding the both rooms “packed” on a Monday night (!).  Food was as expected, nothing outstanding, but said he would return.   Only flaw was that several dishes of the four were “not hot”, for which he received an apology from the manager.

Since it is a “new” place, I did a bit of looking at their menu.  Pretty much a formula thing with boxes for categories like Appetizers, Nachos, Salads, Combos, Quesadillas, Fajitas, etc.  While there was not a box for “drinks”, there were several pictures of Margaritas.   I suppose it could have been separate.  Following more and more common practice, there were little icons beside some of the dishes, denoting: “Recommended, New, and Popular” one wonders if things without, say, a “Recommended” star, if they are NOT recommended.   And odd that a place that has been open less than a month has a “new” category.  Maybe refresh there is no markings for vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, and so on.  Oh, and they indiscriminately interchange “cheese” and “queso”  

Be interesting to see how they go after they get over their birth pains...

I went into one of the non-chain coffee places here, all of which serve pretty good coffee.  I got a “large” whole milk Latte, with two shots of regular and one of decaf.


Took it to my car, put it in the cup holder and off I went.  Just before I got to the digs, I went to have a sip, and “eagle clawed” the cup, and then all hell broke loose.  The cup collapsed, the lid flew off, and I (and the flutter mobile) was bathed in hot, sticky, coffee.


Fortunately, I was able to get to the house and grab a bunch of paper towels and mostly mop up the car and myself.   Always pick up by the bottom, not the top!

'Shrooms

Lastly, a memory jogger for me. Through the wonders of the web, I happened to come across a product that brought back such pleasant memories of my youth.


Growing up in Michigan, every spring I was shipped off to Petosky to stay with “Aunt Lee” (of whom I could fill volumes of Feeders) my mother’s sister.  During that time, I quite often spent a couple of days with “the Alfreds” (who lived across the street from us in East Lansing), who operated a small curio shop during the spring and summer between Harbor Springs and Cross Village.  They sold local Native American Crafts, like little Birch Bark canoes, beads, and so forth.  And part of the ritual was centered around food, Morel Mushrooms and Smelt.  

At that time of the year the Smelt would “run” in many of the small streams and creeks. So after dark, you’d put on waders, and find a stream (which was ice cold) wade out with a little net and scoop up the small silvery fish.

But as good as they were, the real Holy Grail was the much revered Morel Mushroom, a local delicacy.  Finding a location where they grew wild (especially around ash trees as I recall) which would be a closely held secret strictly a secret kept within a family, not to be shared with anybody.  So we would tramp out into the wilds to "their" spot to find the emerging legumes, and harvest a few.

So home again, fry the smelt in a little butter, saute the lightly dusted mushrooms, and a feast fit for the kings (or at least me).  The memories of those meals have stayed with me for decades, and maybe contributed to my passion for food.  That’s what it is all about!

Not sure what I’ll do with the dried variety, maybe scallops?  Sure as hell won’t top Lasagana. 

Thanks and
DFD and don’t forget
NMMJ


No comments: