Thursday, February 27, 2020

Cow and Fish and a "Cuiz"




The “Cuiz” may only be meaningful to my faithful STL readers…

Before that, a reminder that last Tuesday (25th) was a gloomy, rainy day here in Paradise.  I had a visit to our cardiologist (Dr. “Amish”) whom I like very much.  Was a very positive session, he saw nothing that concerned him, so see you in four months.  We were out of a crowded Bean Building about 12:30 and decided to visit Cow and Fish for a lunch.  We were nearly the only guests due to Tuesday and rainy gloomy conditions.  In (many) previous years, I would have been self-conscious, but now I relish it.  We had a nice visit with Sylvia the owner, about this and that, over “your usual drink?” and MFO had hot tea.   Just right for the day.

Anyway, we finally got around to considering food, but before I get into that, the Quizzzzz!  I will take my (figurative) hat off to anyone who can identify Chef in these pictures from many (many) years ago.
Hint: he opened a restaurant in University City (greater St. Louis) named “Painted Plates”.  

We had several good meals there, and he and I were in a Wine Tasting group at Starr’s on Hanley road (now Big Bend??) in Richmond Heights hosted by Budd Starr himself.  It was a blind format, i.e., the wines were in brown bags to conceal the labels, only yielding whether they were low or high shoulder.  My monthly opportunity to embarrass myself but got to taste some very good wines. I got fairly accomplished at identifying new or old world, the grape varietal, and country of origin.  It was in this group my eyes were opened to some of the great German wines which remain unappreciated with the glut of cheap, sweet Rieslings (Blue Nun) over shadowing the magnificent wines like aged .  Trockenbeerenauslese.  As an aside, the best of the group was Mr. Starr’s wife.  She could nail Bordeaux down to the commune.  Amazing. 

But, I digress.  What got me started was the habit of Chef Michael at Cow and Fish to always “paint his plates”.  MFO got the perfect dish for the day and weather, the Bolognese over Penne.  Great choice

But notice the rim of the dish which is “painted” with a dusting of (I don’t know what), or my terrific Pork Tenderloin with a cherry reduction with its own paint.

Both were delicious.  The Bolognese was a lovely sauce, fresh and bright, tangy, and not at all with any trace of “Ragu” sweetness.  The Pasta was cooked just right, not mushy, not crunchy, but the perfect definition of “al dente”.  The pork was also lovely, not dried out, and (I think) probably sautéed a bit in something that lent a nice background for the sauce.
Being in no hurry to get back into the weather, we did a “two fork” Mango Parfait for dessert. 

Nice and light and I had an espresso to keep me going through the rest of the afternoon (despite which, is what I had, an “afternoon rest”).

The drive up 235 is richly rewarded with great food.  Best around (IMHO).

We are, always to the best of our ability
DFD

 “A recipe has no soul.  You, as the cook must bring soul to the recipe”
Thomas Keller

Lagniappe:  I spent the money to enroll in the “master class” site where Thomas Keller has at least three “lessons”.  No pretense or fake showmanship (a la Guy Fieri) just a chef with a passion for cooking.  Invaluable insights into techniques and (I hate the word but) tips.  Worth many pennies. 

And the answer to the “quiz”



No comments: