Sunday, July 26, 2020

Finally


Jul 24 blue cheese and COVID

As you might remember I have a series of exercises for my pulmonary issues.  One of those is “Marching in Place” which, while self-explanatory from a physical aspect, also describes The Feeder’s mood.  Just don’t have much enthusiasm for doing much which translates to the dark periods of the Bottom Feeder. In response to dozens, well, a few, well, one inquiry I’ve had about the Bottom Feeder lately. Here’s a little catch up. 


So…..bucking that….starting out with a little “foodie humor”!
Caption: "then, when I get a little money, I said I'm never eating off the ground again





William Wordsworth should have been here

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

 well there was a little friend upstream a ways:


One of the things you can do while remaining in “quarantine” is eat.. to sort of modify one of FOJTE’s favorite sayings: “Living well is the best revenge” (at which he is quite accomplished); to which I would change to “Eating well ain’t bad either”.  Lately I have been on a kick for the world’s best (okay, I used the word) food which IMHO is cheese.  Further I am concentrating on the “Bleu” varieties. And “Variety “is a good word.  If you google “Blue Cheese”, it throws a list at you of over 40 cheeses (from Wikipidia). Most of the cheese reference sources includes them in lists of “country of origin; Milk Type; Type (fresh, soft, semi-soft, semi-hard, and so forth).  You name the category, there’s likely to be a blue cheese in there somewhere.

So far, (some are not cheap!) I have sampled:
Shropshire; Seles Sur Cher; bleu de Auvergne; Cambozola Black Label; Point Reyes Original, and Rogue Creamery “caveman”. Some are distinctive, some are not
Shropshire “Blue”

Seles Sur Cher

Cambozola Black Label

And “not”


When it comes to taste, the lines kind of blur.  While all taste like what most people would call: “Bleu Cheese”; You would have to line them up and go from one to another.  Subtle differences exist in texture, “sharpness” (for want of a better word).  For me, I quite enjoy Point Reyes Original, it has nice balance, not too “Crumbly” (i.e., spreads easily).  MFO currently likes the Rogue Creamery product.
Anyway, it’s a task of love and we’ve just scratched the surface.  A worthwhile journey (as resources permit!)

And lastly, for the heck of it (and why I love food and restaurants) I include a photo of a lovely spot, part of the L’Auberge Chez Francois near Great Falls:
  Jacques’ Brasserie and serves such classic dishes as Lobster Thermidor:  Mr. Sietsema: “The kitchen does right by the classic, featured as a Friday special.  Its recipient tastes sweet poached lobster, cognac and cream and more than the cheeses used to finish the dish, which is rich without beinggloppy”.  Sigh…


Okay, one of these days, I may be able to DFD
Be safe

No comments: