Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Quote o'the day..

In my never ending quest to expand my historical knowledge, I am slogging through the book "The Great Rehearsal", by Carl Van Doren. It's the story of making and ratifying the Constitution of the United States. It's kind of tough reading, not exactly a page turner. Anyway, I'm currently reading about the differences between the "small" and "large" states, and the debate over how representation and voting should be implemented in the house and senate. It's full of quotes by famous men, Washington, Franklin, etc. But here's one that caught my eye about the matter by Madison:

"Would it be wonderful if, under the pressure of all these difficulties, the Convention should have been forced into some deviations from that artificial structure and regular symmetry which an abstract view of the subject might lead an ingenious theorist to bestow on a constitution planned in his closet or in his imagination?" James Madison, The Federalist No. 37, January, 1788

Um, could you please go over that again for me, Jim? whew.

Off to the day job, and see you at Blue Wind Gourmet tonight..and i'll be

DFD

No comments: