Tuesday, August 25, 2009

We Are The World!!

It’s a curious thing. Here we are in Southern Maryland, which for years was sort of a closed society/culture, mostly staying unto itself. Of course that has changed over the years with the advent of “the Base” which has brought in “outsiders”, with various cultural backgrounds and tastes. Another curiosity, as we’ve noted before, somehow our little San Souci plaza is turning out to be an International center. We’ve counted many times the various cuisines available (maybe not so authentic) from far eastern, to latin America, etc., etc.. what did we count? Some 13 or 14 different countries represented? Well, guess what, it doesn’t stop at prepared food service. Right in the midst of all those restaurants is a great source of ethnic food products:



It’s not quite as exotic as those street markets you sue, but if you are a bit selective, I believe that Shopper’s has the best produce section in the city. Of any nationality.





But what is really neat is that they not only have the usual stuff, but have created special sections devoted to specific cuisines such as:



or....



And if you go look at the produce in those sections, there are things (at least for me) I’ve never seen before






For instance, I would have no idea what to do with a bitter melon. Or what are those “leaves”?

Presumably they sell the stuff, as the supply always seems fresh. I know the clientele I’ve seen in the store usually reflects the multi cultural produce available. And, it doesn’t stop with the fresh stuff either. There is a huge selection of worldly ingredients that are dried, canned, packaged, and bagged.



Been wanting to get those Manzanilla pieces (available at some specialty food stores)?



Harking back to the thing about “best home cook” in America, I’ll bet you could find some pretty darn good ones in those aisles. Despite my bent toward French cuisine, it’s always amazing what a variety of food and preparations are out there. I suppose I should expand the Feeder’s horizons. An idea has been kicking around in the back of my head that I should "eat" my way around San Souci (which, as near as I can figure, loosely means “care free”) Go figure.

And whatever is on the table, make sure you

DFD

No comments: