Monday, November 30, 2009

This and That's for a monday

After a glut of foodie stuff, time to catch up on a few odds and ends that have been piling up in the “this and that” department.

General this’s and that’s in random order:

It’s hard to have anything but pity for my favorite whipping boy Notre Dame at this point. I’m not sure Charlie should shoulder the whole blame for their miserable showing this season. It was put into perspective when the stupid shill announcers on NBC allowed as how their loss to (I think Navy) “might hurt their BCS chances”. At that point they were rated in the lower twenties. Another twist is that I have heard that if they decide to replace Genius One, with Genius Two. Why would Belichik even consider that?

I’m ready for basketball…and we still have the BCS hoopla to live through.

And now there are talking vehicles, and I don’t mean “turn left in 100 yards”. Chrysler apparently has decided that they can sell cars by making them emotional. Have you seen those disgusting commercials for I think Dodge Ram trucks? Howie Long is bad enough slamming the “man step” concept (which actually seems like a good idea to me) but now we see a dirty truck and hear “I am Ram. My tank is full”, and they’re not talking about gasoline either. It’s life. If you buy the truck you will be fulfilled. Or you can go for Jeep who appeals the free spirit in you. No talk about the features, just fuzzy feel good stuff. Sigh…..

Tiger?

Food this and that’s:

Besides finding Kellum’s in my relentless pursuit of good eats, I came across another product that is new to our area. There is a small outfit (Extravagonzo Gourmet Foods) in Idaho (yes, Idaho) that makes flavored extra virgin olive and grapeseed oil. They come in Blood Orange, Meyer Lemon, Roasted Garlic, and Chili oils. If you are into dipping bread, they are really tasty. The orange and lemon are particularly good. You can also cook with them, and use them to enhance your best ideas… They are available locally in Blue Wind Gourmet. Check it out...

And, speaking of Kellum’s seafood, just an fyi…I would call ahead if you want something, when I was there (admittedly in the thanksgiving rockfish/oyster rush) last week, there was not a case full of fish on ice such as you might expect. So if you have something in mind, I would call. They are extremely good about following up.

Fall is a pretty time of year..





and don't forget in the fall you can still

DFD

No comments: