Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tuesday thingies

Some friends were visiting the “Park” last night and we wanted to meet for dinner. Being Monday (in case you delay reading this although I can’t imagine why), it sort of posed a problem. At least three of the (IMHO) four local (SMC) fine dining places are not open Monday night. Not particularly interested in patronizing what some call “box stores”, the plethora of chains sprouting up all over, we thought of going to the “other county” and visiting the Ruddy Duck. Although the feeder has been there on several occasions previously they were all associated with some social function or to pick up their (best in the county) pizza. So this was the first time we had been there as a normal walk in the door customer. It wasn’t very crowded and we were given the choice of booth or table and selected a table. Our server approached and immediately violated rule no. 7: (Do not announce your name) with the standard “Hi I’m and....care of you”. We were still waiting for our fourth guest so we ordered drinks. When you’re in beer country....and I had a nice crisp Pilsner and our friend was finishing a Scottish Ale. The beers are very good. MFO wanted a glass of wine and requested the wine list (beers are on menu, wines are not). Whereupon rule number 41 was brought into play: (Saying, “No problem” is a problem. It has a tone of insincerity or sarcasm). I didn’t take any tone of insincerity or sarcasm, it was said pleasantly enough, but superfluous. Hopefully finding a wine list is not difficult. I often wonder if there ever would be a response to some request of “oh, gosh. That’s really a problem for me”. Okay, enough of that.

The menu has selections for any taste or appetite, sandwiches, salads plain or adorned, main courses, pasta, those great pizzas, almost anything you could want in any portion. We did order an order of those Chipas a la Carlos, the Argentinean Cheese Balls. We had enjoyed those earlier and are quite tasty. They are a nice variation on the usual litany of appetizers. Little plates were brought so we could share, and (I’ll shut up after this) those same four plates stayed on the table the whole evening. The main courses arrived, consisting of fish and chips, crab cake dinner, a bacon cheese burger, and (me) a half slab of Memphis Style (“dry rubbed and smoked, French fries and pineapple slaw, sauce on the side – yes, on the side, we’re purists”). All the food was very good, although I thought my ribs were just a bit on the dry side, but hey, I’m not from Memphis. The crab cakes were delicious (I sampled) and MFO couldn’t finish her voluminous burger that was cooked exactly as ordered. The last fish went home for lunch. The pineapple slaw, despite its name is quite tasty. I need to work around the menu more..Still highly recommended.

Overall (with the noted small exceptions) the service last night was quite good, better than some around here, but since I've got myself going, a little comment about “service”. I have gotten to know a few of the restaurateurs in the area and know they spend a fair amount of time tearing their hair out trying to find good help. There is a large (and still growing) number of food service places around here and all depend on workers or servers to keep the business going. Therefore the market is wide open and restaurant owners are sometimes forced to take new or inexperienced people. There isn’t too much time for training, and so we find ourselves with learning or uncaring servers, it’s just a job to some. And, unfortunately they are the face of the restaurant. Good food can’t overcome bad service and by and large your “experience” (there’s that word again) is in large part determined by who worked your table. Despite knowing "what's right", the owners can’t be everywhere all the time.

I have no answers, it’s just an observation. I have never been a server, but I’m sure I would be perfect.

All I can say is do what you can do to demand good service: “I think we’re through with those little plates if you would like to remove them”; “could I have a fresh fork please?”; “no, I’ll wait for my friend to finish before you remove my plate”.

Speaking of “the rules”, the second fifty of the NYT “don’ts” has been published. Once again, things we’ve all experienced are included. A small sampling (you can see the whole list if you follow the link):

59. Do not leave place settings that are not being used.

65. Always remove used silverware and replace it with new.

75. Do not ask if someone is finished when others are still eating that course.

78. Do not ask, “Are you still working on that?” Dining is not work — until questions like this are asked.

It just seems so obvious. Why can’t they get it? We’ll just keep trying.

I’ll add my number 101:

DFD

No comments: