Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sunday Snippits...

Well, here it is Sunday afternoon, and I’ve assuaged any guilt feelings by working outside all morning so I can enjoy the Master’s this afternoon. Don’t see how it can top the drama of yesterday.

Anyway, a few things caught my attention over the weekend, so here’s a little chance to get them off my chest.

Sometimes you find out things by “gossip” and sometimes you find out things by just reading the newspaper. Friday’s Enterprise column “This ‘N’ That” (which must have been borrowed from the feeder) entitled “Revival as a sports bar planned for landmark” caught my eye. Turns out it was about the “Willows” (a restaurant just south of Leonardtown that has been shuttered for over a year). I was surprised to learn it started as a home 90 years ago, and turned into a pub in the late ‘30’s. The new owner wants to return it to the “same ambiance”. Really! I bet they didn’t have 50 inch flat screens back then, or Texas Hold ‘em tournaments, or DJ’s. So, good luck with that. Anyway for those that visited the Willows in its last carnation will probably remember the smoke that pervaded the place along with clientele who didn’t know and didn’t care about DFD. So, I had to chuckle at the final paragraph that said “I don’t want to hurt the reputation of the place, I want to add to the reputation”. Unless you go back to the ‘30’s, hurting the reputation might not be so bad.

But on the upside, good for him in starting a new locally owned food establishment. It will be a struggle. Parking and traffic will be an issue to face. And to add another obstacle, I notice that ground has been broken next to the Olive Garden for what I assume will be Red Robin, which again, some have said they can’t wait for.

On the non-food side of things, our Sunday post had some teasers on the front page this morning. Little boxes at the top with a photo and a little line designed to lead you to the Business or Travel section and so on. Now, before I do the mild rant, I understand why it is but it’s still sad. The top right box (first one to catch your eye I suppose) entitled “Sports” was a little picture of Tiger, and the line reads: “Tiger Tied for Third at the Masters”. How many sports publications you know of have headlines like: “so and so tied for 4th in batting title”; or “what’s her name tenth in rankings”. For anybody who watched the drama in yesterday’s third round, you know Tiger was a sidebar at best. We’ll see what today brings.

And, let’s end on a good note. This morning I went to S-bucks for some liquid enthusiasm and arrived at the front door along with another couple (sort of my generation). Being a courteous sort, I held the door for them to enter first. They did, but once inside insisted in get in line before them. Oh, and they didn’t start yacking on a cell phone after (or even during) ordering either.. It’s nice to find those little pockets of civility. Let’s hope they expand.

Viewing note: The Tudors return tonight – great drama. And before that there are two Sherlock Holmes programs, the ones with Jeremy Brett. No matter if you’ve seen it four times, it’s what TV should be..he’s marvelous.

And before that you can enjoy your dinner if you are

DFD

ps - think the P8 arrival was postponed one day. I didn't see it yesterday but it may have arrived..

No comments: