Monday, August 9, 2010

Cheesed on the Weekend...

We’ve stated before that cheese may in fact be the perfect food. I reaffirmed that opinion on Saturday night as I enjoyed the fine weather and took cocktails on the pool deck.



I decided to have some of the special goat cheese from Cherry Glen Farms in Boyd, Maryland. I selected their Monocacy Gold – which they describe as: “The curd for the Gold is drawn at higher pH than the Silver or Ash. Not as heavy as Brie, this delicate, mild flavored cheese is smooth and silky.” So armed with the cheese, some crackers, reading material, and the all important Dry Manhattan, on the rocks, sans the twist (do you know how much lemons cost these days?), I settled in.



The cheese indeed was “gold”, silky as they said, and the rind added just a little crunch and a bite. A little messy, but worth every smear



It’s just so good in your mouth, just savoring the smooth delicate flavors that unfold. Not much trouble finishing the whole thing



as I nibbled and sipped, I had some passerby's



In the process, I greatly enjoyed reading my latest edition of “Sauce” that restaurant paper from St. Louis. Some stuff to pass along, but that can wait another day. And, after the wonderful goat cheese, guess what I had for dinner?



Not just your blue box Kraft (not that there’s anything wrong with that) but the Beecher’s edition (imported from Seattle). It's a just great cheesy spicey dish. The “Mariachi” is sort of jazzed up with peppers and stuff, and gives your palate a nice ride. Good stuff is just good stuff…seek it out!!

Cheese Math

You remember my little contretemps in Panera over the price of cream cheese last weekend? Well, I decided to do a little further checking. Panera will sell you 2 ounces of the stuff for $1.30, equating to 65 cents/oz ($10 a pound!). Or, you can go to Giant, and get 8 oz. of the Philly brand for $2.19, which is only 27 cents/oz. So you’re paying two and a half times for the product at the bread store. Of course you get immediate satisfaction for your $1.30 on your 99 cent bagel, so that may be worth a little premium, but I guess Panera would consider the cheese a high margin item.. Just a thought…

And, on my patio, I didn’t have to

DFD, just DFC(ocktails)

No comments: