Friday, August 6, 2010

Here we are....

People sometimes ask me “why do you continue to live in Southern Maryland?”. The acclaimed fine dining restaurants are up in DC or Annapolis, out of season produce is a mess, people with “I Love you Dale” stickers in their back window cut you off, “merge” is a mysterical concept, and you can’t find a parking place at Olive Garden (when you’re here, you’re family, well, sort of, maybe).

I’ll tell you why. Tonight I went over to Leonardtown for the First Friday events. I found a parking place easily, went over to the North End Gallery, enjoyed looking at the art, a glass of wine, and saw several friends. Then I went down to the Front Porch, which was crowded, met some more friends, and finally elbowed my way to the bar, eventually ordering “the drink”, which was executed correctly, although I had to tell the barkeep that I didn’t need bitters as he groveled under the bar. Meanwhile, outside somehow got to be ground zero for Governor O’Malley’s arrival greeted with an entourage dressed in green T-shirts, and the stoic guys in black suits and sun glasses (sun was down, by the way). He made some remarks (it’s an election year, you know) about looking forward and not back, which I guess has some pointed meaning.

I wandered back to the main street, visited the catering place, and meanwhile the Gov and his party followed along, sticking their noses in the various shops and stores. Café Des Artistes was crowded inside and out, and Chef was making his appearance felt. Eventually people gathered on the square, and then the Governor drew the winning ticket for the Primanateau or whatever the hell the thing is, and despite about 8 tries (you need to be present to win), I didn’t. Then the local band began to play and they asked the Gov to sing. Now, I don’t know your politics nor mine, but dammit any governor who comes to Leonardtown, visits the local shops and sings “The City of New Orleans” is okay in my damn book.

So there you are. You can live in fashionable Alexandria with your bistros and café’s, but can you stroll the streets, meet friends, have a hot dog from a cart, or listen to the Governor do a Steve Goodman song? That’s why we live in Southern Maryland.

And of course we always
DFD

No comments: