Friday, December 17, 2010

A Christmas Hole-y Story

As alert readers will recall or infer, the Christmas Season is not quite the Feeder’s favorite time of the year. “Why is everybody ELSE filled with joy and good will?” Anyway a small feeling of the season occurred in me this morning, and it revolved around donuts!

Some may remember that when I was gainfully employed, I brought donuts to the team (almost) every Friday morning. I somehow survived many years of arising around 4 something, dragging myself to a local donut emporium, first at the long defunct bakery in San Souci and then later the only choice of Donut Connection. During years of doing this I sort of developed a friendship with the owner of the DC, a very sweet gentleman from India. We had many great conversations, although there remained somewhat of a language barrier. I think one time I commented in the formative Feeder days that I spent some time with him one morning trying to give him an idea where exactly Missouri was. Well, one year I gave him a tin of our favorite (Whitley’s) peanuts. He was so grateful, and even the members of his family that help in the store went on and on about them. So, a tradition was born…

So I tried to keep up with him, but despite good intentions, plans, assurances, and promises to visit “Pete” (as he is called) during retirement, I think it’s been a year since I was able to see him. But somehow, the idea of giving him and his family peanuts again started eating on me. So, this morning, I made the sacrifice and walked in with my tin of peanuts at 4:45. It took him a minute to recognize me, but such a light came into his eyes when he saw me that it kind of made everything worthwhile. We chatted for a while, interspersed with his courteous “may I help you?” into his head set as people approached the drive through. I also saw one of my “donut buddies” that was a very long time regular as well, so it was kind of a little homecoming. Just three guys at 5am in a donut shop in the middle of Lexington Park, but maybe a little light shone upon us..as I always say, little things and friends…

And maybe as my reward I was allowed to see this..



and at that time who cares if you were

DF

No comments: