Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Leave the weather, then under it!

Our final (short) day in Chicago began with a nice breakfast buffet (okay, good for this application) in our spiffy hotel. After reluctantly prying ourselves from the palatial bathroom and after getting DFB (and DFT(ravel)) we joined what was left of the wedding party in a lovely room overlooking the winter wonderland..well, a parking lot with lots of snow in this case



It was a bright room with the usual “Stuff” for breakfast



With normal breakfast stuff, and nicely set “sides”



Besides the normal chafing dishes there was an ‘omelet” station



With your choice of----



I always enjoy omelet stations, because the preparation of the omelet varies from place to place. When making them at home, I prefer the classic (?) technique of letting the eggs “set” over heat, then adding the ingredients and rolling it onto the plate in a neat little roll. Of course I normally use a ten inch pan and these are maybe 8. These were made by first putting the egg mixture in the pan, and then adding the meats or vegetables, and gently swirling the mixture so everything was all mixed together. This was allowed to cook until the eggs got “done” and then if cheese was desired it was added. The whole thing was then tipped onto the plate an folded once, or not. Nothing wrong with this, tasted good and it’s always fun to watch.

Oh yeah, the best dish for breakfast? you just can't beat:



After good conversation and goodbyes, we all scattered to our various destinations. Of course the flutters are no different and since we were most of the way there, MFO decided she’d take the rent-a-racer and go north to visit Mom in Onalaska. I bummed a ride with our hosts and went to Midway. Fortunately, traffic was lite, and our driver knew a nicer way to approach Midway that didn’t quite give you the feeling you might be shot as when we used Cicero Ave.

Anyway, all those obstacles were crested and after the laborious trek through security (no full body scans nor patdowns) I arrived at the gate, eventually boarded the plane, quietly ate my peanuts, and after the usual interminable approach to BWI landed without incident.

And, e sincSouthwest Airlines didn’t lose my bag that flies free, another sardine can ride in the rental bus brought me to the Avis section of the rental barn, and the little board told me my car was in stall F43. In that stall rested some little bright yellow Pontiac product with a wing on the trunk. How prophetic it was painted yellow. How long has it been since you drove a car with no cruise control? Fun? You betcha!. And Hey! Why is it that when I turned the corner the turn signal is still clicking away? Because the damn thing doesn’t work! Manual on, manual off. All the way from BWI. Oh, and I don’t know if you’ve ever driven a car with that wing on the trunk, but it obscures the parking lights of any car behind you, so you think the car is inches from you. Or, it reflects overhead lights making you think a car is there that isn’t. Oh well, it probably improved my gas mileage at least .02%. Finally driving in the driveway to the digs, I discover there is no internal trunk release. So I get out, and after several increasingly hard thumb punches to the fob, the thing opens. Okay, finally home. So next day time to turn the Sunkist Kar back to Avis, I punch the “unlock” key on the fob. Nothing happens. Again. same. Okay, I’ll just use the key. A this point, apparently because the smarts in the car had not received an “unlock” signal it though it was being stolen when the door opened and the horn proceeded to bleat. Over and over. Fortunately the unlock tab must have taken because it stopped before the neighbors appeared. And, why do they EVER put gas on the right..

So there was sort of a sketchy conclusion to a great weekend in Chicago. And to top it all off, I must have picked up a bug, because now I’m sort of housebound…if you get my drift.

Right now I am DEFINITELY NOT

DFD, because there probably will be no D to DF today!

No comments: