Friday, January 7, 2011

Returning to "Of This and That"...

No pictures today, just lots of words....

As the "holidaze" begins to be replaced with attention to normal life (definition subjective) we can return to more usual stuff in this column. Things of interest randomly entered in the “Of this and that” category:

Concerts/Events:

I went down to St. Mary’s City last night to hear another in the series of Brian Ganz’s performance of Chopin pieces. You’ve heard me wax eloquent about his abilities before, so no use going over those again. What struck me last night that there was only one piece of about ten he played for which he used the score. Even took “requests” from the audience.. I had my hand in the air for “Misty” but wasn’t called upon. Instead he played a beautiful Etude which had a string of opus and numbers and keys on it which I can’t remember. I always sit in the second row from the back, second seat in on the right side, a hallowed seat of some friends. I sort of do that so I don’t get carried away looking at his hands on the keyboard and can concentrate on the music. The little Etude he played was lilting (if that’s a word) and somehow the music just sort of seemed to be in the air rather than emanating “from” the piano. His first “big time” Chopin Series will be the 22nd with the National Philharmonic Orchestra in Bethesda.

The “Weekend” section of today’s Enterprise (the one with another great Reid Silverman shot of a kid in a pool) features a cover photo of Tom Chapin (those of us old enough to remember him) announcing that his “act for grown ups” (he does children’s stuff as well) is coming to CSM (College of Southern Maryland). And indeed reading inside, it is. But in true frustrating Enterprise fashion, the concert is NEXT MONDAY. Now I don’t know about you, but I like to schedule at least two weeks out. Next Monday is three days away. C’mon folks, you must have known about this earlier than today!! Unfortunately that is right up against the BCS championship game which I am committed to. I suspect sports do not weigh as heavy in some musical circles so maybe that’s okay. It’s in La Plata at 8 in the Fine Arts Center.

More locally, there is a concert in Tribute to Tom Wisner at the Calvert Marine Museum. And hey, for planning purposes, it’s TOMORROW night. Maybe I missed the earlier notices..think it’s also maybe at 8

On the event side even closer in, tonight will be the 2011 inaugural First Friday in Leonardtown. Usual stuff.. I think the book store will feature John Shaw musically..

Food/Places:
Speaking of the Weekend insert, and the inevitable Mr. Mercer’s column, today’s entry features Pope’s Creek Restaurant, a waterfront dining (NOT a crab house) spot in Newburg. As usual it’s the typical recitation of the decor, menu and prices, all good info, along with high praises of everything he ate. Occasionally though, gems creep in whether intended or not. In describing a steak entrée, he passes on that the server “noted that the kitchen currently had a particularly good cut of strip steak at its disposal”. Perhaps this is a veiled warning that typically they don’t have very good cuts available? Maybe a call ahead asking as to the quality of the food available for the evening might be warranted.

Anyway, where I was going is that there was a little box to the side noting the closing of several restaurants. Mexico’s Lusby Location, a Bilvil in North Beach (one of his “top picks” in 2009 ~ fame is fleeting), and more notably the Naughty Gull in Solomon’s. That place was here forever and in the “old days” was very popular. Always a bit difficult to find, but was good in the “old days”. I had not been there in years.. And, in the same box there is announcement of the opening of a new Mexican Restaurant in Prince Frederick. The name is (I am not making this up) Skull Mexican Restaurant. What were they thinking?

Over the holidays he published a “Year in Dining” weekend edition. As this is getting long I won’t dissect it, but it was interesting reading. A listing of his “favorites” (which from week to week seem to include anyplace he went) locally included: Emily’s; Laughing Buddha; the Mixing Bowl; Café Des Artistes; and I’ll give him credit here, Courtney’s. I don’t have a quarrel with any of those. A list of changes strangely didn’t include the closing of Brome Howard Inn, (IMHO) the best restaurant we’ve ever had here.

Politics:

What did he say? Politics? Feeder! What’s up with that? Well, while I endeavor to and will stay a-political in these postings, I do observe. I am not taking any position here although it might be misinterpreted as that, but watching what’s going on in Washington is making me depressed. I have never in my long (and getting longer) years of observing “the scene”, seen such venom and anger between the political parties. Now, in the House the party that spent two years saying “no” seems intent on dismantling everything that happened over those past two years. Regardless of your viewpoint, is that what we elect people for? Tearing down? I suppose rule number whatever will kick in (never as bad or good as it seems) will kick in and business will return to usual. It will make interesting if depressing viewing..OK, I'll shut up.

And, on that note we’ll go do something else. Tomorrow night MFO and I are going up the road to a dinner party held by the firm that employs me. Will wait until Sunday or so to recount. Am enthusiastic about prospects… we will have to take enough clothing to make sure we can

DFD

No comments: