Sunday, February 13, 2011

Music, where are you?......

Your real time reporter, going outside the lines to bring you cutting edge cultural perspective.

Because there was an hour break on WETA this evening between Holmes and Masterpiece Theater, I started watching the Grammy’s because I wanted to see Bob Dylan, and maybe Mick Jagger. It is now almost time to start with MP, but I am pretty well nauseated by what I’ve seen so far.

MFO keeps reminding me that “You’re old” and just don’t understand the current popular music scene. Okay, that’s fine, but maybe, just maybe I do have an appreciation for good music.

It appears to me that “music” has taken a back seat to “performance”. If you don’t have talent, no matter, you can have scantily clothed “actors” prancing about, posturing and dancing around the stage, with dramatic lighting effects. It’s the total experience. Who cares if you know a scale.

The program started out with a tribute to Aretha Franklin, who can do it. There were 5 performers on stage, one of whom was Cristina (National Anthem? what’s that?) Aguilera. Who once again tried to sell the “screaming is better than singing” approach. Awful.

Then, there was a person introduced who recommended some (fiance) country singer, whose name I don’t recall. I am not sure of her age, she was not in her first youth, and she sang some song. I hope Patsy Cline and Hank Williams are spinning in their graves. She sang a "country" song laced with forced dialect like: “Eef ah, culd faand ma seeelf” or, “Ahhh am lookin aggeeen”. She didn’t grow up in the mountains, she didn’t learn to speak that way. Aahhhm jest a cuntry gerrl” just write the feaking check. There’s no talent now.

Justin Beiber? Gag. Where is popular music?? Lady GaGa just won some award… America where are you????

And as I was preparing to hit "send" Bob Dylan did appear. Now, I am one who saw: "Now, introducting Robert Zimmerman" at the University of Michigan folklore festival in 196X, I am crying, what a freaking travesty. Lot of stupid musicians in the back doing hootnany parodies. Je--s give me a fing break. Bob, the times have changed.

DF(cryng)

No comments: