Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The aging process....

People often wonder why, as you get older, you get cranky and bitter. Well, here’s three reasons why from just yesterday (Tuesday)..

Two. Last year I decided to try Clematis on our “arch” beside the driveway. A previous experiment with honeysuckle had proven to generate a tangled mess that wasn’t quite the delicate presentation I had hoped for. So I hacked away the honeysuckle and planted a more restrained Clematis vine. A little research revealed that you can’t hope for huge success until you’re three or so years into nurturing the little plant. So at the end of last year I wasn’t discouraged that it was pretty sickly and puny in appearance. And, yea verily, with the spring came healthier looking growth and it started to wend its way up the trellis. About a week ago I noticed that one of the tendrils on one leg of the arch was looking kind of sickly, and by the end of last week it had shriveled up and died. Not to worry (much), there was a more hearty looking shoot along side, so hopefully that will thrive. As the dead branch turned browner and browner, I decided that it should be expunged as an eyesore. Both the live and dead shoots were intertwined, and were both about a foot and a half out of the ground. So, I got down on my hands and knees (no small feat these days), and carefully separated the live from the dead, tracing them from the top down. When I was sure, I took the shears and delicately snipped…….the live one. Strike One.

Three…more gardening fun. I supported Historic St. Mary’s City by purchasing this year’s crop of herbs (chives, 2 basil, and 2 (flat leaf) parsley) through their annual plant sale. I picked them up last week, and healthy looking plants they were. I let them harden outdoors for a couple of days, and with the nice warm sun yesterday, I planted them in the pool herb garden. Of course it took me several minutes to locate them just perfectly with measurements and calculations. Eventually all five plants were in the ground, and as a precaution, I put one of my unused “cages” that fit over the bird feeders (to ward off the grackle hoards) over one of the parsleys to ward off any foraging animules. I figured I would cover the other with “something” today. After planting the little gems, we retired to the now tastefully appointed screened in porch to enjoy a DMOTRWAT and a Bombay Gimlet with assorted snacks. After settling down with a refreshed drink I noticed a little bunny emerging from the plant bed, peacefully sauntering to somewhere. Oh…….. ---t! Sprinting to the bed revealed the uncovered parsley plant trimmed to the nub. If it ain’t the ducks, it’s the darn wabbits.. “Dwatted Wabbit”. More depression. Strike two...

One...And all of this occurred after I had arrived home around noon, parked the flutter mobile and strode into the……….warm and humid great room. A check of the thermostat confirmed the body senses, it registered 80 degrees, with a set point of 76, system running like crazy, with no flow from the floor ducts. Compressor outside was running also. Down to the basement to find water dripping from the lines, and a small pool by the unit which was cold to touch. A phone call to the HVAC resulted in a technician showing up at the house within the hour (there are some miracles left). However, a series of troubleshooting this and that revealed no smoking gun and finally it was assumed that some valve deep within the guts of the outside unit “must be at fault”. Too late to get it today, we’ll try tomorrow. A last check of the unit downstairs was underway when he exclaimed “Hey! There’s no expansion valve here!!” A call to the owner of the firm resulted in finding out there is only an orifice on this model (I flunked thermo, so I have no idea what they were talking about), and most likely it was clogged. A softball game called my technician so it was arranged he would show up this morning to clean the little bugger. He did, and nothing was found, although the valve sort of blew out of the fitting. At any rate everything was back together, and it has worked all day today. Strike three, you’re old and bitter!

Each of these in itself isn’t devastating but I think there is an accumulative effect. Each one nicks you just a bit, and a lifetime of them turns you crotchety and paranoid. Yes, I have been accused of being a "glass half empty" guy.

Speaking of a glass, I'm thirsty...

DFD

No comments: