Friday, November 18, 2011

THE Guy....



Before we get to “the guy at table” story, just a short note on language. As somebody who uses it a lot, I keep my ear(s) open and, to paraphrase Yogi, “you can hear a lot just by listening”. I try to pay attention to current culture (does that make me a “Folklorist”?) and current trends in speaking. I have noticed that there are phrases that come into vogue, mercifully run their course, and eventually disappear. For instance on the Today show, they routinely used to tease an upcoming interview with (say) the mother in law of some axe murderer with the phrase: “So and So SPEAKS OUT”. What the heck does that mean? Or how often lately have you seen a “thank you” dressed up as “give a SHOUT OUT to…..”, or worse “let’s give a great big SHOUT OUT….”. Should I run out into the front yard and start yelling? Now lately another one has caught my attention. Usually it starts out with some situation and an individual reacting somehow, like “You know when somebody….” And then will end with “Don’t be that guy!” Ignoring the gender issue, it just gets tiresome. Who knows what’s next? Keep your ears open.. Just say what you mean…

This Guy:

We were sitting at our table at Bistro 315 in Santa Fe enjoying our cocktails when the table next to us was seated with a couple and another gentleman (“the guy”). All were DFD’d appropriately and were younger than us (as are most people) but not by a lot. Mature might be a good descriptor. Not that you (always) listen on purpose, but of course it’s hard not to overhear a few words here and there. When I heard the word “wine” I perked up and nonchalantly paid more attention. The lady was going on about how pleased they were that they could get together, and then began to talk to the guy about their upcoming wedding. They were so pleased he would be involved and they had heard so much about his knowledge of food and wine and were sure that he would provide a wonderful meal for them, yadda, yadda. He sort of basked in his reputation and said he would do his best, yadda, yadda. They finally got down to perusing the menu (and blackboard), and “the guy” took the proffered wine list from the server, and studied it for a while. I thought it was a very good wine list (where I found that 1er Cru Chablis that was heavenly) with nice choices in all price ranges.

They discussed the food for a while, and finally when the server approached the table, he said (and I am not making this up): “we’re thinking of a red wine, what would you recommend?”. Now this is not to say that servers are ignorant on wines, some are very knowledgeable and are glad to discuss wine if asked. But, if I were with potential clients (my supposition) the last thing I would do is ask the server what wine I should have. It wasn’t “we’re thinking of ordering (whatever), do you have some suggestions for us to consider”, it was “what would you recommend?” with no discussion on food, and they accepted her recommendation. As I recall it was fairly high end cab (surprise surprise) . I was quite amazed. Servers have their likes and dislikes, but I certainly would not suppose what they might like or recommend would apply to me.

After some dithering, he asked if he could have the Foie Gras appetizer as a main course. So if he was sophisticated enough to want that (wonderful) dish as a main course he was either showing off, or knew something about food. Either way, asking the server blind for wine recommendations was astounding to me. That’s “the guy” story

Students and Deer:

As a footnote to my “Folklorist” adventure the other night, I forgot to mention the drive home. Thanks to EST it was pitch black when the welcome relief of the end of the talk came and I headed out. People who ply our roads at night around here live in mortal fear of encountering deer at inopportune times with their auto; usually much to the mutual detriment of car and deer, sometimes including the driver. So driving at night on the back roads is always cautionary, or should be. And, on top of that, I find that as I grow into my golden years my eyesight at night is somewhat diminished. Is it really that dark out??? So I left the parking lot at St. Mary’s City and started down the dark road from Calvert hall toward Route Five. All of a sudden, (apparently) from nowhere a dark shape lept into view. It was a student, all dressed in black (fashionable or de rigueur I suppose) just walking along, assuming: 1) I could see him/her; and 2) regardless of that, he/she had the inalienable right of way. Wrong, and not smart. Fortunately, it wasn’t even close, no evasive action required in either case, just a little pause to let the heartbeat return to normal. In the short distance roughly between the State House and the Boat House (~.5 miles) this occurred at least four more times. Blissful youth I suppose. So now there is another hazard to worry about driving at night besides deer: College Students!! And their eyes don’t reflect nearly as well as their four footed companions..

Maybe at night the undergrads should consider

DFV(visibility)

No comments: