Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lite Wednesday...


As time before our departure for San Diego grows less, so does the time for blogging (whew, you say), so just a quick couple of notes for your Wednesday.

Gras of Mardi

Thinking about packing is hard work, always causing a thirst. So, in order to keep healthily hydrated we joined some friends at a local watering hole for replenishments of fluids.


Feeling somewhat more fortified after that, we stopped by St. Andrews Church and visited their annual Fat Tuesday dinner. In addition to the traditional pancakes, they also were serving jambalaya which was advertised as being the recipe used at Saphron Restaurant. Since low country cuisine is their specialty I was kind of keen to try it. So we paid our eight bucks each, asked for carry out, and got one of each (cakes/sausage/applesauce and jambalaya/warm greens/apple dessert)


We brought home the food and enjoyed it. MFO allowed as how the cakes and sausages were good. I have to admit I like my jambalaya a bit more “soupy” (an exacting culinary term), and I don’t believe there were any shrimp in it at least that I found. I was just nicely spiced not hot at all which I appreciated. I will have to go up to the Saphron and try it up there…

More Dinners…

I have often extolled the virtues of “church lady” cooking (which applies to the males as well in this usage. Another source of “local” food around here are the American Legions, and also the various civic clubs. This weekend (while we are dining in San Diego), the 7th District Optimists are holding their annual dinner. On the menu will be Fried Oysters, Spiced Shrimp, Stuffed Ham, Fried Chicken, (and healthy vegetables). I don’t think you could find a more Southern Maryland menu that that!! And you won’t even have to drive “down to the seventh” as it will be held in the Mechanicsville Fire/Social Hall. You need to support these things, to keep local food alive and also your funds go to do good things!

Where’s Jerry?

This “Jerry” thing is getting interesting. I drove down great mills road today and sure enough here’s


And I have heard there is one (I think I already noted this) in Lusby of the “& Son” variety. At least a couple of locals have told me they liked the food at (this) Jerry’s. So we will stay tuned as Jerry’s Bistro evolves.

Where are those suitcases? Have to fill them so we can

DFD

travel note:  not sure where or when next edition will appear, on the road always presents technical difficulties.. but we'll surmount...

No comments: