Monday, February 13, 2012

A Piece of Pi.....



I visited a couple of restaurants over the weekend, but I want to add yet another so will forestall reprots until list is completed..

Due to the “obligations” above, last night was the first opportunity to investigate the new Pizza outlet nearby, Pepperoni’s (Pizza & Subs)



I phoned in my order about ten of seven, and the telephone person was pretty friendly, in my experience a rare occurrence for pizza phone answerers. Anyway the standard twenty minutes was quoted, and I busied myself preparing cocktails (for one). My plan was to sort of have everything in place for Downton Abbey which started at nine. So after a few minutes I hopped into the flutter mobile and headed over to the “new” shopping center. (I gotta find if there is a formal name for it). Noting that the Golden Chicken place and sports clips was now open, I pulled up in front of Pepperoni’s and went inside. There are about eight or nine tables/booths available and only one was occupied. Right inside the door is the counter for order/pick up and one of those cute tall things with rotating pizzas by the slice in them, a requirement for a pizza dive. Mostly the staff seemed to be having conversation among themselves; which, under the circumstances, is probably justified. These days when entering a new establishment, I do a body art/piercing check of staff (not that they don’t have the right). Art was low, but piercings were medium. This, of course is only personal observations (and private opinion).

Anyway, there was only one box under the lights, and surprisingly enough it was for me! I had selected a medium “All Meats” specialty Pizza, composed of the usual list of artery cloggers. I also splurged on $1.25 worth of added black olives, a weakness of mine. So after giving them $16.15, I put the box in the back seat wrapped in my jacket and headed back to the digs.

Maybe because they are new, I was surprised that they have sort of a vanilla box without advertising


I put the box in the wonderful warming drawer (every home kitchen must have one) and proceeded to enjoy cocktails. Finally I was ready and got the pie out of the drawer. It probably could have been refreshed better with a quick trip through the oven on our pizza stone but by this time I was hungry so put it on the cutting board and prepared to partake



What a lot of yakking about a takeout pizza! Anyway, I guess I would have to say (not a great critic here) it probably is as good (or bad) as any around here. As I said, there seems to be an unlimited market for any pizza. Personally, FWIW (I’m a social media guy!) I still really like the fired ones at Ruddy Duck, but that’s too much a hike except for special occasions or circumstance. Throw a dart at the rest. Distance from digs is usually the deciding factor.
Culinary Confusion

Relatively alert readers will remember that I reported a new establishment “Coming Soon” on our corner that advertised the somewhat odd combination of “Chinese Food & Sushi & American Food”. That was a while ago, and I noted that progress seemed to be made as the odd van and truck was outside. Well, I looked today to see



It is left to the Feeder and the Reader(s) to figure out what the heck that is! Would you think a Bistro would feature Chinese Food & Sushi & American Food? No, I would expect French (ha ha) or more likely Italian. And who, exactly, is Jerry? Is Jerry expanding his location from Prince Frederick (and how would he handle the floor show in two places)? Or is it an expansion of the nationally franchised Jerry’s Subs and Pizza’s (not more, please) that occupy a lot of gas stations? Perhaps could it be another place entirely? But then why does the Chinese Food & Sushi & American Food banner hang on a space that says “For Rent”?. Ah, sweet mysteries of life.. Time will tell all..

And to further the confusion what will be the proper

DFD

MFO arriving Wednesday...









No comments: