Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Not quite a rant...


I have been bothered about something lately, and have been looking for an opportunity to work it into the blog.  But, given the subject, I feel funny following up a report on lovely food with another on what amounts to violence.  Not a very good pairing.  So, I am just going to make this a standalone comment, and I am not trying to take a stand on any constitutional issues (although I do have opinions), it is just an observation, and probably not original with me..

While we were away on our various trips, we kept seeing news stories about another shoot up  back here in a movie theater, shopping mall, school and so on.  And then not long after we got back, we lost a Rotarian friend in the incident at the Navy Yard.  Just seems like there are more and more people who feel they must take a gun and do bad things.  So I was watching some (well many) football games the other day, and I there were an increasing number of commercials for (I am not sure I get this right) Xbox and Play station machines.  And some of the commercials were amazing.  One was set in I think (what used to be) Las Vegas all torn up like after a world war, and there were people loaded with more weapons than I thought one could carry, shooting planes, buildings, and people at an astonishing rate.  Another shows a bunch of grubby people sitting in lounge chairs when a similar group walks up and there is dialog to the effect that “you’re too late, the battle is over” all this set in another place that looks like post war Germany.

I guess these are for “games” that you can get to install in your mega gigabyte machine so you can join the action.  Not sure what happened to Donkey Kong…  Anyway, at the end of one of those commercials there is a final sound bite with something like: “for the warrior in all of us”.  Well, really!  There’s a warrior in me?  I don’t think so.  And yes, they are “games” and not reality, although with increasing technology the line is getting blurry, but it just makes me wonder if there is not some parallel here.  As I say, smarter folks than me probably ponder the same thing..  there.  Thanks.

And just to end on a little happier note, I am developing a nice little story about Martinis, but I need some more input..  if I get a response to a note I have out, I’ll pass along a neat thing..

 

Meanwhile, you go

DFD

No comments: