Thursday, November 14, 2013

TIme Thief..


With apologies to Elvin Bishop I’m going to take OFF my traveling shoes, and let the travelogue take a rest for a bit.  I suspect you are ready for a break as, am I…

We all have our daily grind schedule, whether it be generated by the need to earn wages, or “retirement stuff” you somehow get yourself into.   Long time readers may recall that I occasionally refer to moments “stolen in time”, meaning something pops up like that extemporaneous lunch (NOT the one your Google Calendar has) that somehow come along and gives a little unexpected oasis from the rigors of the day..  Currently the Feeder is banging deadlines for work associated with the Hospital Gala, by-law reviews for another organization, and a spate of things for one of the civic clubs I belong to. So this week has been a head spinning trip of errands, phone calls, emails, texts, and so on.

I had in the back of my mind that today was another of the Brian Ganz piano talks down at St. Mary’s College, but I thought (remember one of my call signs is Eeyore) “Ooooh Gee, I guess I shouldn’t take the time, have to do…..” and started my check list.  Then I got a note from Historic St. Mary’s City that they needed some papers signed TODAY, and could I come down and do it. Another one!! So into the fluttermobile and off I go..  Then it hit me!!  I’m down here, the sun is shining, and Brian Ganz is going to play Chopin!!!  S***w it!!!  I’m GOING.

So I did the (damn) paperwork and went over to St. Mary’s Hall and was even able to sit in the Micheal Picot memorial seat (back row, audience right), where I enjoyed so many performances with him while he was with us.  The topic of today’s Piano Talk was “Chopin Discoveries” which featured some of Frederic’s lesser known pieces.  There were four different genres, a Waltz, a Prelude, a Ballade, and an Etude.  Brian appeared to almost a full house which, while is as it should be, is not often the case. Maybe word gets out after a couple of years!!  Anyway, Brian started with some history about the first piece (the Waltz) which was called “L’Adieu” and how it figured into a relationship Chopin had with a young lady.  He talked about the form of this waltz and how it had kind of a repetitive bass (which has a name, but escapes me) and he demonstrated it on the piano.  Now, I have to interject here that Waltzes are not my favorite form of classical music.  I don’t go looking for Richard Strauss pieces to listen to.  I’m sorry, but I don’t enjoy hearing the Blue Danube.   I can’t get over the “ooooMMM Pahh Pahh” stuff.  So I was ready to endure the Chopin Waltz in A-flat major, Op. 69, No. 1, in order to hear the rest of the program.

Well silly me.  It turned out to be a wonderful lyrical piece played by the delicate hand of Brian.  At one point I was surprised to hear a series of notes which immediately reminded me of jazz.  I suppose there is a musical reason for that, but I was struck by the thought.  Which, in turn made me wonder if Brian ever plays jazz.  I’m sure he would be good at that.

Anyway, the rest of the program was equally enjoyable, again made more interesting by his insights and little demonstrations.  At the end of the hour, I was so glad I stole the moment…do it, we only have so many..

On the way back up to the digs, I noticed that there was a “For Lease” sign on Charlie’s Deli… guess there will be one less independent for which you might have to
DFD
 
 

No comments: