Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day Boquet

clever rhyme, eh?  kind of a bunch of flowers today

although this is Mother’s day, it doesn't have much to do with Mothers, other than I used the term as part of the first item.

First the thorn..

This morning I was on my way to Starbucks for my daily shot, and mindful of the special day I thought I would stop at our local Panera’s and get a pastry for MFO and a bagel for myself.  So I was in a pretty good mood, enjoying the morning weather and lack of traffic while going north on R. 235.  I was traveling at my usual five mph over the limit, meaning I was going about fifty.  All of a sudden, I was aware of a small car beside me, clearly going many more than five mph over the recommended speed (we don’t have “limits” per se, just signs with posted "goals", which are routinely ignored).

Anyway, about this time the stop light at the next intersection went yellow.  Now, when I say the next intersection, I don’t mean (we) were stomp on the brakes upon it.  It was visible, but maybe a quarter of a mile or “up there”.   About the distance where normal civil drivers (like us) would take our foot off the gas coast a bit and eventually apply the brakes to come to a gentle stop at the light.  No problem, we do it all the time.   Well, not so my for friend in the little push car with a wing on the back!  Immediately on seeing the light go yellow the buzz rose to a roar and he shot ahead.  Now, we normally think of the “intersection” as being defined by the edge of the crosswalk marker, and I since I wasn't there (by a long shot) he might have had an inch of his front tire rubber past the line when the light was full red.  I muttered something to do with Mothers under my breath and stopped.  Guess who was waiting for me at the next (red) light up the road?  and since I was driving correctly, I arrived as it turned green and cruised by him.

More of a flower 

I turned in at Panera and parked along the far side of the lot, virtually at the foot of the hideous double pole there by the bank.  Went in, got my bagel and pastry and when I came out, there was a car next to me with four people standing by it staring at the power poles, necks craned skyward.  As I got nearer to them, I could hear them saying something about the massive diameter at the base.  As they turned to go into the store, the gentleman remarked “and they sure are pretty” shaking his head.  I am still amazed at the ease with which these visual atrocities were added to our skyline.

Onward, I got to Starbucks, got my Latte, and picked up a sleeve and saw:




I have always thought of Starbucks as a sort of forward thinking, reasonable, company and to see they have resorted to pithy philosophy by that woman in depressing.  I’m sure they paid for the privilege.  Sigh..

the blooms

But, enough of curmudgeonly whining..  Some things in today’s Washington Post would be of interest to us food people.  Mr. Sietsema reported on a visit to Nashville, and places he ate.  One of which was Lockeland Table, where the cooking is done by a chef Holden – Bache formally of the Greenbrier in West Virginia.  Mr. Sietsema liked the food, and said a highlight of his 48 hours in Music City was Chef’s special of  “thick-cut house-made baloney warmed in the hickory-fired pizza oven, and topped with bright yellow chowchow”.   Given that he also dined at Sean Brock’s recently opened Husk, a brother of the highly acclaimed restaurant in Charleston, that’s quite an honor.  I’m not sure I am ready for home made thick cut bologna.  Nor would I be interested in a dish from The Partisan, a restaurant he reviewed in today’s Magazine of the Post.  The main theme of Partisan is meat, particularly charcuterie, a dish which I am always a sucker for (good meat, bad english).  And Partisan is apparently embracing the very trendy “nose to tail” movement because for seventy five bucks, you and five of your friends can share a “pig head cooked for half a day and delivered with hot and sweet pickled peppers”.  Fortunately no picture was given.  I can stand to have a plate with a trout looking at me, but this might be a bit much..

And on the liquid side of things, Maryland’s second distillery, Lyon Distilling, has opened on the Eastern Shore in St. Michaels.  Blackwater Distilling (also on that side in Stevensville) was the first.  While Blackwater features their Sloop Betty Vodka, Lyon is pushing their Rum.  Their claim to fame is that they are indeed “handcrafted”, meaning (to them) they have their “hands on every bit of the process”.  They also claim that since there were five working rum distilleries in Maryland during the 1700’s, rum can be considered “the quintessential American spirit”.  Not sure I’m ready to sign up for that, our Rye was extremely popular during that time and lot of rum was imported from England.  But I was heartened to see that they are going (or are) to produce a line of Rye Whiskey.  Worth watching.

And lastly, speaking of Rye, here are a few ingredients I have assembled for my next cocktail adventure..  what cocktail do you think it is?  Many experiments to follow.. Stay Tuned





And, alert west coast reader, who pointed out my recent closing faux pas here’s a make up

DFD along with today’s
DFD


And, for sure happy Mother’s Day to all!

No comments: