Wednesday, July 30, 2014

nice and not so...


We are having a great run of weather (so far) this week.  You can be outside without coming in bathed in your own bodily fluids..

Well, my efforts in regards to the stuffed ham adventure are now posted on the county’s tourism site.  You can scroll to the bottom and see the heavily retouched version of my visage and then click on latest post and it will guide you to “Ham it Up”, which kind of rambles around about our own stuffed ham.  I think given time and more resources it could turn into an interesting article.  I still would like to know why (if there is a reason) more kale is used north county while cabbage is preferred in the southern part.  Maybe the answer is lost in antiquity, and people would say “we’ve always done it this way” and that would be it.  Food for thought (ha ha) or maybe thought for food!  I’m so glad the tradition is kept alive in the onslaught of the chains that are taking over the county (at least here in Lexington Park north, home of the power poles).

Speaking of which, I see that the old Blockbuster location on three notch road is going to turn into a Popeye’s (and an AT&T store).  Gee, Bottom Feeder, don’t we have one already down on Great Mills road?  Why, yes we do, dear reader, and I can’t tell you (at least yet) if it is relocating or it is mitosis.  I guess the full name of the franchise is “Popeye’s Louisiana Kitchen”.  You know, that’s the one whose TV commercials has that obnoxious woman effecting somebody’s idea of a suthin’ drawl, calling us “honey” every other sentence, and sprinkled with “y’all” and divulging cooking secrets like she used fresh black pepper.  Stop the presses!  Has me scrambling for the remote every time.

And I see that the Stoney's Empire is indeed spreading into the Mother County by taking over the old Clarke’s Landing spot on this side of the river.  It will be interesting to see if they can make it a go without depending on tourists on the Solomons.  I’m sorry, I still don’t care for their crab cakes, but it will be nice to have another waterfront dining option available again.

Speaking of which (waterfront dining) we met a friend last night for dinner at the Dry Dock and we sat outside on the porch, an extremely rare (if not non-existent) situation for MFO and the Feeder.  We normally sit at the bar inside, but last night was so nice outside, and that, along with the beautiful soft evening light made for a very pleasurable experience.  We of course lingered and by the time we were about done the place had pretty much cleared out, and Ben the chef actually came out to see if it was me.  I had ordered the blackened chicken and remembered to expunge the asparagus it came with but neglected to say “go light on the spice” so he knew it was me (asparagus aversion) but was perplexed by the lack of direction on the amount of blackening.. So, he figured okay, if that’s what he wants he got it.  As we were leaving he said in the future he would always grill my entrée if it was blackened on the menu..  we also had a very accomplished server who was able to negotiate the trip from the bar, out the door, step down, and get to the table without spilling a drop of my “up” dry Manhattan. I have pretty much given up the “on the rocks” for esthetic and dilution reasons.  Anyway, I don’t think you can beat that for an outdoor experience.  Practically reach the masts of the boats and the breeze in the rigging provides a nice background.

And while I’m being nice, just another one (see I’m being positive today, at least after leaving the chains).  I went for my morning coffee this morning, and when I went to go up the “back stairs” from the parking lot to Starbucks, there was a couple sitting on the top steps with their coffee (and I think smokes) and when I approached them they said “we were just admiring your car”.   What kind is it?  A common question, so I explained about the Hyundai Genesis and they said they had a relative that had either an Elantra or a Sonata and just loved it.  They said mine looked like a Mercedes or Jaguar.  I love my car.

Oh, and speaking of cars, watch for coming news of a change in vehicles for MFO

And if you’re in a nice auto, you can be comfortably

DFD

PS lot's of inside buzz about The Rex, the new place in Leonardtown..




No comments: