Thursday, August 20, 2015

Just Stuff



A little of this and that..

Peace from Pieces

Well, we finally did it.  Every time a major storm looms, be it a named one or a winter blizzard variety, I start poring over radar maps, follow storm track prediction sites, stay glued to forecasts and am generally a mental wreck.  Over the past couple of years, if things looked like something would actually materialize, I drag out the portable generator I purchased, get five gallon cans of gas, check oil, and so forth.  Then I wished I had stuck to starting the damn thing every month (actually I didn’t do too bad) and yanked my shoulder out of its socket to make sure it would start in anger.  Somewhere in that progression, I would say damn it, I’m going to get one of those automatic generators.  Then the sun would emerge, or the snow would melt, and well, you know how that goes.  But guess what we got!!




Our environmental control center now sports a husky 22KV generator ready for use if necessary.  We of course hope it is like taking an umbrella with you to the picnic, it won’t be needed.  But the peace of mind it brings is worth every piece of currency spent.  It did involve moving circuits around in the panels, but our vendor (PM me if interested) did a great job and everything worked well.   So although the bank account took a dip, the freezer won’t (well, that’s kind of upside down, but you get the idea)..   Especially with Danny being frisky in the Atlantic.  Feels good.

Kitchen Kulture

A chef we know in Galway is a prolific (to say the least) Facebook Poster, and today he shared an article about “Culture of the Kitchen”, written by a Chicago Chef named Iliana Regan who has couple of restaurants, one of which is Elizabeth.  It apparently is kind of an eclectic place,
At Elizabeth Restaurant we work with the best seasonal offerings from our gardens, woods, local farmers, fishers, and hunters….We call our cuisine New Gatherer”    Her summer menu is split between a “Hunter Menu” and a “Gatherer Menu”.   Hunter has pemmican, how often do you see that?  And Gatherer offers Cabbage and Shoots, or Fermented Romaine and smoked yolks…  Adventurous.  Anyway it speaks of a person that is serious about her food and its preparation.  She has some interesting things to say about “culture in the kitchen”, like

Intensity has been an essential aspect of all the fine dining kitchens I’ve worked in. In the casual restaurants I’ve worked in, the pressure is more about getting through service if it was high volume than the actual quality

It’s bad when it involves putting people down. As chefs we are teachers and if we are ridiculing our students, who we haven’t properly taught, we are at fault. But if we taught them and gave them the proper tools and opportunities to excel in a positive way and they continue not to learn or improve over time, then the situation has to be properly addressed. This is usually the point when I let them go”
“The pressure I apply in the kitchen is focused on the taste of our food, the presentation of it on the plate, and the way in which we serve it. I emphasize that we are telling a story about terroir: the farms, fields, and woods from which we create our men”

Anyway, I thought she had some interesting things to say.  I shared the link to the article on my FaceBook timeline (or whatever it is called).  Or, if you’re interested in the whole you can click on this URL.  Chefs are such an interesting lot.


Biscuit Banter
To sort of balance things out, we’ll close with a review of another column I thought was interesting (note I am sort of copying here, not being my normal refreshing creative self).  It appeared in that iconic old publication, Southern Living which has been in print since 1966.   It used to be the “old South” with crinolines, shoo fly pie, blueberry buckle, and stuff like that.  Over the years it has (IMHO) kind of modernized itself, and isn’t a bad read.  I sometimes think I’ll not renew my subscription, but then they come out with an offer like “renew for $12 and receive another year free”.  So I cave in.  They might be getting some pressure from newer (southern) publications like Garden and Gun.

Anyway, there was an interesting column in the September issue of the "Southern Journal" section authored by Rick Bragg, a Pulitzer Prize winning author, who mostly writes about “the South”.   Most people who follow Southern Food, know that besides Barbecue in all its regional variations, Biscuits claim a hallowed place in Southern Cuisine, mostly for breakfast.   The magazines are always full of recipes for “authentic’, “classic”, “down home” versions.  The title of the piece is “The Abominable Biscuit  - It’s hard to be a morning person over congealed gravy and hockey puck eggs”.  

So right away you know he’s my kind of guy.  He begins with “I am not sure when I became a grouchy old man, a crotchety relic.  I just know I am”.   Bingo, a brother..  He talks about his slide into disillusionment which he blames on the “hotel breakfast buffet, the nightmarish 21st Century phenomenon dishonestly referred to as a “hot bar”.  I think that is where I turned the corner from optimist and went stumbling down the path to miserable old geezer.  Somewhere between the desiccated bacon and scrambled eggs so awful there is no known word.” 

Then: “worst of all is the abomination of the hotel biscuit.  There is not enough congealing gravy in this world to cover the nastiness of a crunchy biscuit”.

And then closes with the notion that fancy restaurants are no haven, where he had scrambled eggs that could have been used as packing material at a four star hotel.

Couldn’t find a link to the on line version but it certainly struck home with me. 

I wonder if he

DFD


Tomorrow, another Moh's surgery..  Cut, analyze, cut, analyse, then leave with a softball on your face.  oh don't get it wet..

ee hah. 


No comments: