Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Bits and Pieces..




Blog on a Blog

This is, as they say in the business, a “tease” (and kind of a heads up).   Given the feeder’s lofty status as a (supposed) food connoisseur, I have been asked to help with an upcoming Gala, one which contains what I consider a unique and unusual twist. Or two.   So, although not in this edition, a couple of upcoming postings will be about the event and a special meal.   Stay tuned.

Not quite Pumpkin

I hear McDonalds has announced that they will be marketing an….. Old Bay McFish sandwich.  While I don’t mind that spice in it’s place (very selective) the current craze of putting it on and in everything from chips to beer is out of hand.  Actually, this application is probably not as wild as some uses. I fully expect to soon see the little yellow can with a spoon attached.   Just spoon it in, folks.  OB is the new Pumpkin..

Chicken (no old bay) and waffles

Readers might remember a while back there was a posting here about Chicken and Waffles that was set off by seeing a bag of Lay's Potato Chips that purported to be that flavor.   I was surprised to find that while new to me, C&W has been a staple pairing, mostly in the South, mostly as a "morning after" dish..  

One of the things I do in the early (for me) mornings is to tune my little pillow radio to "Mike and Mike", a rather informative and entertaining sports talk show that is on the radio as well as carried on ESPN2.  I can catch up on the scores, latest foibles of the NFL, and so on.  Mike (Goliic) kind of portrays the cretin buffoon, having played in the NFL and is self anointed expert on all things football.  We won’t mention where he played college.  And the other Mike (Greenberg) is the kind of elitist, type who uses hand sanitizer hourly, cringes at the thought of public toilets, apparently enjoys good food and wine, and displays kind of a bon vivant persona.   I will mention that he went to Northwestern University.   Anyway, the other morning, and I don’t remember how it came up, they both were surprised to find that Chicken and Waffles existed.   Callers and Tweeters suggested several places as having "the best", which I didn’t pay attention to.  So at least the Feeder is ahead of them in that department.  Oh, and speaking of Potato Chip flavors, I saw another bag that contained “Southern Biscuits and Gravy” chips.  Ewwwwww…

A Question for readers to ponder

This would be easier if it were on Facebook or someplace where reader reaction could be recorded and tabulated.  Subject is Menu’s.   As a general practice when I am going out to a new restaurant in a different city or someplace where I have not been before, I DO NOT go on the web and look at their menu.  Nor, do I stand outside the door of a new place gazing at the menu.  Perhaps when I am wandering around in a different city or overseas I’ll look as I pass by, but not if I am going to dine there.   So the question would be:  “do you routinely look on line at the menu of a place you're going to that night?

Stodgy old me thinks that the presentation of the Menu is an important part of the overall experience.  How is it given to you?  plopped or politely handed to you? I personally just accept it with thanks and set it aside. Then, while you enjoy your cocktail, you can sort of wonder what choices await you (we’re talking leather bound type here, not plastic laminated) and consider what you're in the mood for.  And, when you’re ready to think about food you can open the menu like a Christmas present.  Sometimes by the time you’re ready to consider food you may have changed your mind about what you might be looking for.  That big steak that was running through your head upon entering may have changed to a sautéed Dover Sole by the time you’re ready to order.   And (pet peeve) i don't like it when the server brings the cocktails and immediately says "are you ready to order?" when the menus have remained untouched.

I suppose if you’re picking a restaurant in some city you plan to visit, it might help to look at their menu, although most things like Trip Advisor at least indicate the type of cuisine.  But an interesting subject to consider.

Peek or don’t peek, but for sure


DFD

No comments: