Sunday, February 7, 2016

Projects and Pigskins.



Well, this may land me in divorce court, or at a minimum a counseling session, but just something I thought I might want to share.

You know how one little simple thing can lead to a massive project of some sort?  Well that sort of happened to me.  As you know (or should), I am active on several civic organizations around here, sit on boards and stuff like that.  Well, the other day, I thought “well, I need to look at that budget again” and I know just where it is.  So, I reached out to put my hands on it and…… nowhere to be seen!   Has that ever happened to you?

So before we proceed further, (and this may be the start of legal proceedings or at least “Exhibit A”),We have a “loft” where we keep our “office” stuff near the computers.  And, although this is kind of like looking in somebody’s underwear drawer, here was the state of things when I went to “just pick up the (mythical) piece of paper”
.


A nice tidy work area surrounding the computer, with the well organized filing system along the far wall



Well after a half hour of cursing and going through each of the stacks, never finding what I wanted, 



I decided something had to be done about this. Off to the races! And so i developed a plan whereby I would go through the whole damn table sheet by sheet, and put things into “subject” bins, which then turned the many stacks into more stacks with the little 3x5 card for “X board”; “Y events” and so on



Although it was a bit of a shuffle, I did reduce the "filing wall" to a relatively clean state


That is the current state this (Sunday) morning, what I estimated taking an hour or so mushroomed into half a day.  At least while I was doing “what the heck is this piece of paper” with dates uncovered as far back as 2008.  while considering the history, I did have this to look out on


Isn’t this riveting reading?    

So next step will be to organize each pile and come up with a storage system (hanging files? Notebooks? Anything but more stacks). 

And while I’m showing you the underside of the Feeder’s existence, I know you must have thought from time to time:  “I wonder where the Feeder creates those brilliant, insightful, and informative pieces on food and culture?.  Must be a glorious setting.  Well, here it is, across from the Desktop station



Strewn about with reference material


(Wine advocate, Showtime Deli Menu, one of my magazines)

And before we leave the reference department just to show you I do have some shred of organization (soon to be more) here are my Travel Files



In which reside menus, tasting notes, diaries, brochures and so forth from our many adventures..

I’ll consider Phase I of the project complete. More to come.

Change of subject to:
 “Suuuuuuperrrrr Sunnnnnnndaaaay!”

Well today is the clash of the final two professional football teams in what has become an American Cultural Phenomenon, the Super Bowl.  It is also the 50th (!!!) edition and is sometimes referred to as “Super Bowl L”.  It does have maybe more than routine interest in that it brings the wily old veteran Peyton Manning on probably his last rodeo, against the young, brash, and frankly engaging Cam Newton. I’m sure you could launch on many story lines and metaphors, but I won’t.  Probably out of an “old guy” perspective I would like to see Peyton go out on with a ring but I am afraid it won’t happen.

Most of the friends we used to gather with for the game are now in far flung places, so it will be only MFO and myself for the game.  Given the amount of work required I did not make my (famous) Remoulade, nor Gumbo, nor Jambalaya.   Hard to do for just the two of us.  MFO is, making her (famous) stuffed mushroom caps, we got a Kaukauna cheese log (which fits the Super Bowl snack rule of they HAVE to be orange) which is kind of sleazy good, I’ll steam up some shrimp, maybe some cashews, and perhaps some sleazy Fritos Bean dip straight from the can.  Wallow in it… no seven layer dip here!.   As for beverages, it is definitely DWTHYL time.  Beer, whisky, wine, soda, whatever..  and at least the game kicks off at 6:30 so one has a chance to last.   As kind of an aside,  I HAVE NOT done any sneak peeking at commercials.

Although it was mostly driven by apathy and sloth, we did go to Giant this morning for weekly needs, not necessarily party food.  We were kind of fearful of crowds, but maybe that was yesterday as we found it busy, but not jammed.  We did see, however the results of yesterday’s (?) shopping both in the “healthy” department

And in the snacking aisle


Where I see some considerate shopper left their Pringles for somebody else to deal with.

Okay, we’re going to journey out for a pre-game brunch so I’ll cease with the usual admonishment to
DFD

And enjoy the game, or the people, or the commercials, or the food, or all.   Big thing is to enjoy!

Will maybe show some of our snacking stuff tomorrow.. Go BRONCO's

No comments: