Monday, July 11, 2016

Richard the Third..



To paraphrase Dick, this is the summer of (at least my) discontent.  Although the cataract surgery is over and I’ve completed my visits to the doc (for three months) with glowing results I still find I have some issues going back and forth between close and far vision which results in stability issues.  So, I have been limiting my close up work, such as writing a blog.   And, hopefully this will be the last time I will indulge in self pity.  So, a few brief food restaurant snippets..

Kevin’s Corner Kafe (sic) seems to be headed for the old “Willow’s” spot.  I wish him luck.  That place seems to be hard to maintain a business since Mr. Nucci closed it.  Traffic pattern is pitiful.

Leonardtown:  I STILL have no clue who is going into the corner spot on the other end of the block from the “old Café” who will morph into La Rive Breton soon.  Word there is that wending their way through the liquor control board has delayed opening, and maybe the 14th of this month.  We’ll see.  I have run into a couple of the servers from before, and they say they will have their jobs, or at least were promised.  Hope so.

Speaking of Leonardtown, MFO and I were over there on Saturday for haircuts, and since our appointment was relatively early (for us), we decided to have breakfast before returning home.  And, eschewing the golden arches near the hair cuttery, we ventured up in town to “Ye Olde Towne Café” up in town.  Options for a “real” breakfast are few over there.  Anyway, we went in and were seated at one of the tables.   There were several other folks there, a lot of families.  The Café features a buffet on weekends, but as is my wont, I avoid buffets if at all possible.  While they may offer a bigger variety, they sometimes offer things that have sat there a while, plus I have sort of an aversion to paying them money to let me get my own food.  So, we ordered off the menu, and I chose whatever they call their standard breakfast, two eggs, choice of bacon, sausage, and maybe ham, home or hash browns, and mercifully they asked if we wanted toast.  I always feel bad when it comes and I never eat it.  I selected two eggs over easy, bacon, and hash browns.  Although I heard another server deliver the speech “Hi I’m…” ours did not, she just stuck to business. 
            The buffet was doing good business with one table making at least three trips..  Our food came soon enough, and was what you might expect.  The bacon was less done that I would prefer, but I didn’t ask for “crispy” which I might have.  Hash browns were from a bag, some strands cooked more than others.  Eggs were okay except there was a black “thing” in the middle of one of my eggs.  I suspect it was from the griddle; at least it didn’t have legs.  I placed is prominently on the edge of the plate, just didn’t want to send it back.  At least the yolks were runny still.  MFO’s eggs same sans black speck, and her turkey (link) sausage was, according to her, quite spicy.
            While I would not yet make them a candidate for “just right” status, they might be headed there.  Décor and atmosphere, if you can call it that, has no character.

Still staying in a “Most Convenient Place” (LT), the Dunkin’ Donuts franchise has opened.  I would suspect that might hit the BTB coffee shop (old Brewing Grounds) a bit.  Still no place over there to sit and gab over coffee, at least conveniently. 

And almost lastly, on one of our trips up the road to Charlotte Hall for the eye doc, I spotted this place in the little strip mall just before Golden Beach road.




One wonders the concept.  Be interesting to see what it becomes.  At least the “now hiring” sign has replaced the most popular sign in the County:  “Coming Soon”.

And Little Caesar’s near us, sports the third most:  “Now Open”.  Eee hah.

Oh, another visit to Cow and Fish (I seem to have a strange fascination with the place), resulted in reinforcing “Good Food/Uneven Service” opinion.   That seems to be a common comment among my foodie friends.

Although I have some feelers out, i do not know what's going in next to the Cracker Barrel on the corner of 235 and Shady Mile Road.  Looks like something with a drive through capability.  Maybe they's put up the favorite County Sign soon and we'll know. 

Okay enough.

DFD





No comments: