Sunday, August 7, 2016

PM part


Experience Number two (PM) from the DC expedition: lunch and a lesson..(and, maybe some unavoidable comments on the Olympics)

A bit of delay occurred between “experience” one and two, caused by a Friday visit to the dermatologist surgeon to have yet another “thing” removed.  This one (of many) was particularly unpleasant since it was on my lip.  The visage of the Feeder and his condition are left to the fertile imagination of the reader..(there is a selfie that will remain buried)

Back to business:  As you recall, Experience One was our morning visit to the Police Memorial and ended with a slightly damp Feeder (In his DFL clothes, sans tie) meeting MFO in the flutter mobile on the curb and then proceeding to the Hay Adams Hotel for lunch.  As you might again recall, we had lunch there in October of 2010 (I just looked it up) and had a wonderful experience, and were looking forward to a repeat.  Again our navigation was flawless and we got to the Hotel with no untoward side trips or narrow escapes.  We had inquired as to whether or not the Hotel offered valet parking and the answer was yes, with a fee of $28 attached.   You may utter a expletive here (as did we) but given our experience with (lack of) parking at the Memorial, and the thought of walking after a lunch including a glass of wine, it isn’t so bad.  As a matter of fact, the price of almost anything from here on out wasn’t a factor.  LWISTBR* as FOJTE is fond of saying.   

So we pulled up under the portico of the Hotel, and immediately two gentlemen came and opened my door as well as (Driver) MFO with a “Welcome to the Hay Adams”.  We told them we were here for lunch and would like to have valet parking.  Of course, sir.  Whereupon he went over to the other side of the car, opened the rear door, got my coat off the hangar, brought it around, helped me into it, and after I asked, gave me directions to the men’s room to don my neck-ware.   And when I asked about payment, he said “Oh, twenty is fine”.  Lovely..

So we went into the lobby with another greeting by the footmen in the lobby, and one led me to the men’s room where I affixed my tie.  So, finally (cooled off and) DFL, we approached the stairs to the Lafayette Room where lunch is served.   We told the hostess at the top of the stairs who we were, and although it was only one o’clock (reservation at half past), could we be seated?  Given that the restaurant was empty behind her, we were not surprised that with a smile she said: Oh, I think we can fit you in.  We were led to one of the kind of alcoves in the room which breaks it up,  and offered a window table overlooking the quiet street in front of the hotel.  Lovely.  Next to our table was the only other occupied table, a table of seven or eight of varying ages, all nicely dressed .   At one point we overheard: “I’ll call the ambassador in the morning”.   Power people indeed!

We were given a lovely basket of bread of varying types, and the crystal water glasses filled.



Meanwhile, the (apparently) only server in the room was tending to the “power table” next to us, asking about cappuccino’s, coffees, and so on.  Apparently they were regulars as they seemed to be familiar with the server.  While we enjoyed the bread and relaxed with the water, the server did not approach our table until we were seated for eight minutes.  (Yes, I am sick, I timed it).  It was a long time, especially because I wanted a drink!  Eight minutes seemed like a long time, since he was within four feet of us several times serving coffees to the other table.   More about this later.

Well, he eventually asked about drinks, and I asked if they had Plymouth Gin.. he didn’t know, but he would go check with the bartender and left the wine list with MFO.  Server returned with the information that they did not have Plymouth Gin (I won’t remount my soap box here), but did have Hendrick’s.  The wine list was interesting with some unusual selections. 


MFO selected the  2014 Hubert Brochard Sancerre, and once again I settled for the Hendrick's Martini.  Maybe I will have to start carrying a flask!  Both arrived to an internal welcome!

As an aside, the size of the Martini is not exaggerated by the camera, it was very generous.   Nuff said.  

With our thirst slaked and our temperament improved, we turned to considering food.  The menu had several tempting dishes (Seafood Boudin Blanc; Maine Lobster Sandwich; Pan Seared Arctic Char…), plus our server told us about a special of a Seafood Fricasee of scallops, shrimp, clams and Red Snapper.  MFO selected a Marcona Almond Gaspacho for her starter and Pistachio Crusted Diver Scallops in a Saffron sauce, and I had a chicken crab soup and the Fricassee (an unusual offering).   I also selected a TR Eliott 2013 Pinot as I finally finished the Martini. 

With the “power table” gone, we received attentive and considerate service for the rest of the meal.  Our food was delicious, here is the Fricassee  - gorgeous, look at that!



We did go for dessert, a chocolate Crème Brûlée with two spoons


Which we didn’t much care for

Ha ha…

Another great experience, although I would be less than candid if I said I would forget the “eight minutes”.     It is nice to know there are havens of gracious service, good food, in relaxed elegant surroundings.  It was a quite expensive (three figure) lunch, but worth it…

Lesson:
And speaking of the “eight minutes”, I spoke with one of my restaurateur friends who has visited the HA hotel several times, and agrees with my appreciation of the place.  I was provided some perspective on our experience from the "back of the room/manager" point of view.  It all once again is rooted in the basic “it’s a business” reminder.  With one server in the area, he had to choose between a table of eight which included regulars, and probably people who visit weekly, or an unknown two top.  You figure out where you would direct your main effort.  I will admit I think a “welcome folks, I’ll be right with you” would have gone a long way to help me, but I sort of understand.

When we left, our (already cooled off) car was waiting for us, we climbed in and headed back to SOMD, concluding a journey of a harrowing morning followed by a lovely meal for which we were elegantly

DFL

Sports footnote:  I was going to rant on the Olympics, but don’t want to change the tone to hostility.  Suffice to say, there are times when I am not glad to be a USA citizen…

*LWISTBR = Living Well Is Still The Best Revenge




No comments: