Saturday, August 13, 2016

The Furnace..



Well, I wish I could report that I spent yesterday out in the back forty plowing the fields, but: a) I don’t have a back forty (or a plow, for that matter), and b) the temperatures and conditions outside recall the “mad dog and Englishmen” quote.  Instead, I stayed inside and watched the Olympics. 

Speaking of which, thanks to a lot of people for expressing the same sentiment I ranted about with NBC coverage.  With all the other outlets in their “network”, you can now find a lot of live coverage.  I must admit I am not a devotee of fencing for instance, but it is there if you want it.  I would appreciate more coverage of the “off-beat” sports, I don’t think they have covered whatever is “race walking”, or a shooting contest (archery not included), and I did catch some of what they call “sailing’ which looked more like wind surfing. 

So, before getting back to my bread and butter, just a comment or two about Thursday’s actions.  The (USA) women’s soccer team lost the chance to capture both the World Cup and the Gold Medal at the same time.  They lost on penalty kicks, really a rough way to lose after battling on the field for 120 minutes of match plus extra time.  I am still learning about the rules, but the “color” person on the broadcast team very politely said that (paraphrased) the referee sucked.  She disallowed a goal for each team, and missed several what the person thought were offside calls, and made some that she thought were not.  Anyway, a tough loss for our team.  Not so the case for the lady basketball team who eked out a narrow win over Canada 81 to 51.   And as I type, USA men are gearing up for the game against Serbia..{a three point victory for the USA}

And lastly with all the respect she deserves, I am getting tired of seeing Simone Biles.  Enough already.. Three hundred “highlight” clips are about enough, and…… Oh, excuse me, I have to go get some Tide wash packets, or maybe a Hersey candy bar. 

Back to bread and butter..

I was told about another “restaurant” which will be moving into the old Winegardner  renovated used car building in Leonardtown.  When I heard “Urban BBQ” would be joining nearby Dunkin’ Donuts, I thought “good, an independent!”  wrong, it’s a chain with about 13 outlets sprinkled around Maryland.  Then just the other day I learned that “Jessie’s Kitchen” will be moving in.  Great I thought again.  Maybe an independent will be joining them!  Wrong again!  While Jessie’s Kitchen is sneaky enough to NOT have a bona fide web site, it does throw you to a facebook page that leads you to believe that there is more than ours.  I hope I'm wrong.

It’s interesting to me that the Business Association of the town of Leonardtown (a most convenient place) is kind of dedicated to creating an "Artistic" collection venues, such as art and craft galleries, boutique shops, a coffee shop, a chocolatier, and unique restaurants (the new Café Des Artistes now slated for late August).  So that is taking place around "the square" at one end of town, yet the “planning and zoning” commission seems hell bent on “Waldorfization” the other end of the street.   Tough competition.  When you’re a chain you can spread losses across the enterprise, but if you’re a one of, every cent is yours.  I would not be so bold to suggest a boycott, but do consider where you spend your money.  “Buy Local” is not just a catch phrase..


DFD

stay cool.. think snow.

No comments: