Friday, September 16, 2016

Here and there...


As we grow older...

Has this ever happened to you?  You decide you need your phone for something important, and reach for it only to find empty space/pocket/clip, whatever you use to attach it to yourself,  and….. it’s empty.. WHERE IS my phone!!??   A room to room search finally turns it up in the bathroom next to the toilet or something.   Yes, you could call it and listen for the ringtone, but that’s something (at least for me) like asking others for directions.  Real men don’t do it.    At any rate, you finally have the cherished phone in hand, and…..you forgot what you wanted it for…  sigh…

Food Section Snippets

We do not subscribe to the WashPo daily edition, but I may have mentioned that a thoughtful neighbor pulls the Wednesday food section and saves it for me.  Usually contains some interesting things in it.  I won’t regurgitate the whole thing, you can do that, but some of the more notable items from the last edition:

Margrit Mondavi passed, at age 91, second wife of Robert. 

Jancis Robinson has published a 112 page “The 24-Hour Wine Expert”, (at a hefty $43 bucks!!) with an aim to provide the basics of wine without all the hype and detail she usually includes in her other works (Oxford Companion to Wine, her World Atlas of Wine (with Hugh Johnson)), etc.   I have not seen it, but the Wine writer for the post likes it.

Beer of the Week:  Blue Mountain Spooky Pumpkin Ale -  God help us.

But what fascinated me most was a piece on, of all things, New London High school cafeteria lunches in New London, Connecticut.  School/institutional lunches have lots of challenges to meet governmental limits on sodium, fats, calories, budgetary restraints, and so on. And we all may have remembrances of glop on a plate.  Not happy.   And so a new chef arrived to take on the job.  One Daniel Giusti.  Not a name familiar to most people (including me).  It listed his previous experience was listed as Chef de Cuisine at….. NOMA, which some readers might recall was considered the greatest restaurant in the world.  He left there to participate in  what has come to be known as “chef activism” and is a member of the “Chef Action Network” a movement which is “engaged at the local level around school lunches and at the national level when it comes to legislation regarding food and nutrition”.  In January, he launched Brigaid, a startup that aims to put professional chefs in public school cafeterias in order to improve their lunches.  He did away with styrofoam, trays, and instead serves up lunch on plates.  

In these days of “celebrity chefs” falling all over themselves to be on Food Network as “stars” and cult heroes, it is gratifying to see somebody trying to make a real difference with food, not bucks.  Good on them.

Distasteful Department (Finally)

I’ve been kind of turning over in my mind whether or not: to include this in the Feeder, and: how to include what I consider a distasteful subject; but in a tasteful manner.  In the end (pun intended, read on) I thought it was so repugnant and in poor taste that I guess I would like to share it.  And, it involves a national publication and a serious subject, so somebody thinks it’s okay, but it sort of grossed me out and incongruous with food… so here goes:

I suppose as a result of subscribing to almost every (important) food publication, I am on some sort of sucker list, and hence I get invitations to subscribe to many food related magazines and newsletters.  Mostly I don’t sign up.   So the other day I get a “complimentary” copy of a slick magazine called “Taste of Home – Best Loved Recipes from Home Cooks Like You”, (me? really?)  and on the cover was some sort of photo of a Four Cheese Rigatoni Bake in a home style casserole dish.  And a sub tile was “Your Best Family Dinners”.   On the bottom of the cover was a highlighted proclamation on a red banner that this was “The #1 Food & Entertaining Magazine in the Entire World”.  Really!  Wonder by whom…  So between that claim, the “B” word appearing twice on the cover, and what seemed to me an attitude of denigration of “home cooks” (dullards, they need simple, easy to make casseroles for dad and the kids), I was ready to head for the recycle bin.

But, out of morbid curiosity I opened the first page.   And there, there, on the left inside cover was a full color, three quarter page close-up of a lady’s derriere, clad in jeans.  Please forgive and understand me when I say that it wasn’t “cute” but rather a full cut posterior, with the words: “Made you look.  And yes, I’m wearing them” superimposed between the left hip pocket to the right one, across the bum. The remainder of the page was an ad for “Always”, a “discreet” garment for (quote): "bladder leaks", and descriptive words of the functionality of the garment not to be repeated here.

Now I suppose these magazines rely on advertising to exist, and with a check, I presume their products could be given accommodation as to placement in the magazine.  But, any respectful editor of a FOOD magazine might have some considerations of what his market might (or might not) would like to see on the inside of the front cover, not to mention a sense of decency.  Maybe it might be okay across from the Page 83 recipes for Antipasto Bake, Ground Beef Taco Dip, and Slow Cooker Artichoke – Spinach Dip, but inside front cover?  Culinary journalism at its best..Completed my trip to the recycle bin.    Thanks..

With that closing, it kind of sheds a (last and unsavory) thought on

DFD

No comments: