Saturday, September 10, 2016

Stuff for All



Well, a couple of days ago, when I started to pen today's little missive, I didn’t have much food related content, but a couple of days have surfaced some items.  And I began by apologizing to a loyal reader who always takes me to task from straying from food content (although in other quarters the reverse seems to be true), so both camps might enjoy this.

Food related content:

Readers may recall that I have been wondering what was going into the old Lone Star/(original) CoCo’s there on 235 just north of the IHOP.  Recently somebody forwarded me the Alcohol Beverage Board agenda from last May.     In that agenda was the following:

Application of to purchase a Class B (Restaurant) BWL license & t/a Pax River Ale House,
46590 Corporate Dr., Lexington Park, MD 20653.

So just today, I was headed south to Historic St. Mary’s City, and noticed that the “CoCo’s Cantina” sign has been replaced with


Although the choice of “Fine Food” is kind of quizzical to me and the overall use of commas is a bit strained. Do they mean: Fine Food, Fine Ales, and Fine Spirits?

plus they face the time honored task of silk purses and sows ears, as the outside currently looks like



Nonetheless, it will be nice to have another independent (I think) option for local eating/dining/drinking.  I remain leery of that location being able to sustain more than a lunch trade, and featuring alcohol at lunch might be risky. Lone Star and CoCo's couldn't hack it.  Good Luck to them.

Another kind of food related incident for the feeder occurred the other day..  A couple of old, er, long time colleagues invited me to join them for lunch at Elements the other day.   One of them is local, and the other is now based in DC, but would be down here last Thursday and invited me to join them for lunch at noon which I gladly accepted.  Be nice to see them.  Among other things aerospace, we divert ourselves with the unending source of English faux pas and malaprops generated from governmental correspondence.  And in the big world in general.  An Example

Sign on the jetway access at DFW Gate 30: "Door is alarmed."  … about what?

“Civilian awards have always been confusing to me.  In the military, awards were cut and dry”.

“It will remain there in till the 18th of June”

 Can’t make this stuff up.. and it’s great fun. 

Anyway, I was looking forward to seeing them and refreshing conversation.  So I arrived at Elements a few minutes early to find that I was apparently ahead of them.  I was given a table on the porch as they were doing good business at Elements.
A few minutes passed, and I ordered a glass of wine.  More minutes passed and to “cut to the chase”, 35 more left the table looking like this



Resigned to dining alone, I eventually I ordered another glass of wine, and got my stand by lunch choice at Elements, “The Cheese Sandwich”.   It’s a good sandwich.   Upon returning home I established e-contact with my two potential companions, only to find out they had texted cancellations to each other, but not the third party..  Oh well, they owe me.

I do have one more foodie thing, but it is kind of delicate and I need to think about how to present it, for now it is just a tease, and we’ll close out with a few non foodie one (or two) liners:

Diversions:

TV commercial: Cut to race track shot of screamingly fast Indy open wheel racers hurtling around a track and the announcer telling how the tires are good at “over two hundred miles an hour”.  Trailer at the bottom “Professional Drivers on a Closed Track, do not attempt”.   Okay got it.

More TV: have you seen the Gray Goose Dirigible commercial?  really cool. You can find it on UTUBE 


KFC has yet another new Colonel Sanders.  You won’t believe this, new format new approach check this out

Chipotle is going to test out Drone delivery

A friend jabbed me on Facebook today by sharing a recipe for Roasted Corn Relish (not bad, good stuff!) but with Old Bay sprinkled on it.   You know that Old Bay on Anything is wonderful!  Eat it with a spoon people.  And to top it off guess what,  PUMPKIN season is upon us and Pumpkin spice Lattes, beers, you name it will start to assault us.  I have heard that pumpkin is good in pies.

Another commercial, maybe Lexus or Mercedes:   Woman driving along, coffee in one hand, fumbles cup. Cut to close up of coffee sloshing everywhere, woman watches in horror trying to save dress, etc., now cut to outside shot of car screeching to a halt inches from the rear end of the car in front.  She looks up with disbelief and awe.  

Which, got me to wondering... The whole idea of “smart cars” is growing, borrowing technology from the aircraft industry, where there are all sorts of automated “Auto Pilot” stuff.  I doubt that it is very sophisticated.   Are we heading toward a society where drivers (I won’t extend to driverless cars here) have such confidence in their cars “protecting them” from their idiocy that cell phones will come out, makeup will be applied, coffee in one hand, smoke in the other, newpapers will be held if not books, and away we go?   Not to mention that there will be an increase in drunk drivers on the road trusting their vehicles.  Something to ponder.

Okay, enough for today..  time to pour a cocktail and

DFD

No comments: